Memory Upgrade

Hi guys,

I'm currently running Team Xtreem DARK 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800, (other comp specs in my sig). The comp started to run sluggish at times so on top of better, bigger HD (mostly so I can move all my data to it and reformat the comp) I am thinking of getting some better memory. Considering that there are some killer deals out there right now I think it's a good idea.

I will most likely not be overclocking as I stopped playing games.

Here is what I'm considering:

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $25 after rebates

OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $35 after smaller rebates

Edit: found this too:

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) - $35 w/ rebates

I didn't see anything under $40 that would hit me as a good deal, but if you know of anything please let me know. Personally this upgrade I'd rather save some money.

Thx.

Edited by lukispuki

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you going to be overclocking your processor?

I know I have enough cooling to OC it quite a bit, and might do it in a future, but for now I will most likely not do it. - stopped gaming.

So far I didn't OC it b/c I had an issue with some 'weard' OS loading lag (plus had blue screen of death in a past, that went away ... w/o a reason). I suspected bad memory, but all the mem. tests came back OK ... but very very slow.

I know I have enough cooling to OC it quite a bit, and might do it in a future, but for now I will most likely not do it. - stopped gaming.

So far I didn't OC it b/c I had an issue with some 'weard' OS loading lag (plus had blue screen of death in a past, that went away ... w/o a reason). I suspected bad memory, but all the mem. tests came back OK ... but very very slow.

I'd get 1066mhz ram if you are considering overclocking the CPU otherwise just get some 800mhz with low latencies! :D

With your Q6600 you won't need anything past DDR2-800 anyway, unless you plan on using some kind of crazy cooling. 400x9 isn't exactly obtainable for most rigs on air.

I'd go for the cheapest of the bunch.

Exactly, go for the OCZ 1066 kit, will perform better compared to the 800's you have.

I have a 2 GB set of each and ddr2800@ 4-4-4-12 timings gets the same super pi score as my 2GB set of 1066@5-5-5-15.

Since they both like each other and play nice I run em both together. :thumbs-up:

It does not matter really other than price for DDR2 anymore.

I have a 2 GB set of each and ddr2800@ 4-4-4-12 timings gets the same super pi score as my 2GB set of 1066@5-5-5-15.

Since they both like each other and play nice I run em both together. :thumbs-up:

It does not matter really other than price for DDR2 anymore.

My guess is that the OCZ kit he picked has better chips on it. Hence the better OC it will give. Eventually giving more performance.

You run them all 4 at 800 or 1066?