Memory Upgrade

All good points, but I have to go with Verran on that one.

Thanks Verran!

Chances are my set up will not change until next major upgrade, till then I will simply OC to 3.6 without trying hard to go over it (no need to blow up my comp for the extra .4 ... not for my needs).

Once I upgrade ... or rather build a new comp, I will not be transferring the RAM to new one, I will most likely just 'donate' my comp my work (where it's stuck anyway right now).

Bottom line, for my needs I'd rather save $20 and have what I would end up with anyway 800 @ 4-4-4-12.

Thanks to this discussion I think I understand RAM a bit more. Thanks for in depth answers!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009 EVERYONE!!!

Cheers!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

800-900MHz at 4-4-4 will out perform 5-5-5 at 1066-1100Mhz any day of the week. Max FSB on Q6600s is in the 445 to 465 FSB range so the 800MHZ ram or memory that will do 900MHz 4-4-4 is the ticket. Some but not all higher speed memory that run at 1066MHz can have the latencies reduced at the lower speed and show an increase in performance. Really its what you intend to do. Since you said you were not overclocking I would get a set with the tightest timing you can find at 800MHz. Of course within your economical boundaries. This set is 49.99 and runs 4-4-4-12 at 1.8v. I have a set and they do well for the price.

I was wondering about that G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800.

Somehow I never really trusted G.Skill. I don't think I had any major reason for my mistrust, it's just the fact that I never really saw it in any major 'good RAM' recommendations.

Any thoughts about G.Skill?

G.Skill is great memory. You shouldn't worry about buying from them at all. They don't have the same brand name recognition as someone like OCZ or Mushkin for a lot of people, but they're just as good.

even on my E8500 i have the 2x1gb crucial ballistix tracer 1066 kit but to runt he memory at "stock" speeds of 533 my cpu would be running at 4797 Mhz. not that it cant get there i'm just saying, nobody needs anything over 1066. you can get an E8500 to 4800Mhz but its not practical for running 24/7, especially when you condsider the fsb would be like 2400mhz if the motherboard would let u go that high would be the next questoin.......if u dont have a 45nm i'd stick with DDR2 800 and you'd be fine.

I'm happy to look back on this and see good info...all of the "just buy the 1066 it will OC better" answers were starting to aggravate me. :P

Also - as far as "off-brand" memory goes it all comes from one of a few large manufacturers anyway. I'm running Wintec AmpX in my rig and it runs 4-4-4-12 @ 1.95v and it cost me next to nothing when I bought it.