Diskless Folding Farm

Nemo

Well I'm getting closer to getting this figured out. I finally got a mobo that will do a PXE boot from LAN ($19 refurb from Newegg) and got my software DHCP server to recognize it and try to send it a boot image. Problem is, I don't have a boot image yet but that's the next obstacle to overcome!

:foldon::foldon:

Off and on for a couple of months, but I only get to work on it during the weekends for a couple of hours each night after the kids go to bed. I wasted a lot of time with a couple of Soyo boards that were supposed to boot from LAN but don't and I got no repsonse from their tech support. I'll be really pysched it I get this to work and then I can write it up and share it with everyone.

I'm not sure if you've tried it or not, but Knoppix will let you do a network boot off of it.

I went through the config to do it, but didn't test it (I didn't wanna stop processing my folding - bad points day).

nicest part about this is that not only can you can have diskless clients, but the 'master' doesn't have to have a hdd either!

:foldon:

I'm not sure if you've tried it or not, but Knoppix will let you do a network boot off of it.

I went through the config to do it, but didn't test it (I didn't wanna stop processing my folding - bad points day).

nicest part about this is that not only can you can have diskless clients, but the 'master' doesn't have to have a hdd either!

The whole approach I am trying to take is to be able to do this using my Windows server. With Knoppix, you still need a CD drive on your clients to boot from. The concept I'm trying to figure out is how to have a series of clients that are nothing more than a mobo with some RAM that boot over the LAN and receive the OS kernel from my Windows server. This way you can build the clients as cheaply as possible and I don't have to have a Linux server.

There are several good guides on the net already that detail how to boot clients using a Linux server.

The whole approach I am trying to take is to be able to do this using my Windows server. With Knoppix, you still need a CD drive on your clients to boot from. The concept I'm trying to figure out is how to have a series of clients that are nothing more than a mobo with some RAM that boot over the LAN and receive the OS kernel from my Windows server. This way you can build the clients as cheaply as possible and I don't have to have a Linux server.

There are several good guides on the net already that detail how to boot clients using a Linux server.

Just a MOBO and Ram? What about a PSU? Is there a way to run mulpitly Comps from a PSU? or what other aooroches are there?