Help! Dfi S939 Nf4 Boards -- No Post In Dual Channel

This was a serisously Odd problem guys...

I had to end up buying 2 more DFI NF4 boards and 2 more s939 cpu's to figure out the problem... so though I had ID'd the problem I still have questions.

OK, so my DFI NF4-SLi-DR / Opty 165 (ccbbe 0610 dpmw) blew out on me and I just got the board back from DFI RMA... but guess what NO Dual Channel... I can't even POST in DC.. I've tried everything... 1 stick of RAM.. no problem... but any configuration of DC RAM and forget it...

I know, I know, I know.... the memory controller is on the chip.. it's a bad CPU right????

WRONG!

turns out it's NOT the cpu... I'll try to give you guys the short version.. basically I had to end up buying the extra cpu's and motherboards to Diagnose the problem... so let me introduce the Hardware.

Motherboards:

1. DFI Sli-DR

2. Expert

3. Ultra-D

CPU's:

1. Opty 165 (ccbbe 0610 dpmw)

2. Opty 165 (CCBBE 0616 XPMW)

3. Opty 146

The Test:

The rest of the equipment was idenitcal for testing purposes...

all testing was done outside of the case on the motherboards cardboard box... with solid, known, working equipment.

the RAM was the 2 x 1GB OCZ 4000 XTC...

all periperials were disconnected to rule out as many things as possible.

RESULTS:

All 3 CPU's are able to do Dual Channel No problems whatsoever in my DFI NF4 Ultra-D. No problems at all... can clock well too.. no memtest errors... windows stable.

All 3 CPU's are NOT even able to POST in DC in either the DFI NF4 SLi-DR or the DFI NF4 EXPERT!!

strange as it may seems the inability to POST in DC RAM configuration appears to be due to some defect in the motherboard, while all three chips are just fine in a similar motherboard. What is more odd is that I somehow ended up with two motherboards that are damaged and unable to RUN in dual channel....

btw.. although not completely confirmed the same two boards that can't run DC also seem to have SATA corruption issues. not quite 100% on that... but that's how it appears.

MY QUESTION:

anyone ever hear of this? anyone else had a problem like this... AMD s939 has the memory controller on the chip... every thread I read about this concluded it was a bad CPU... but that's clearly not the case here...

If anyone has input I'll give it a try... aside from that I suppose I have to talk to DFI about repairing my expert and my SLi-DR...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some what the same problem im haveing my dimms 3/4 wont work at all on a dfi landparty ut cfx 3200-dr/g

was told it mite be the controller tried 4 cpus but still dimm 3/4 wont work so im getting a new board

some what the same problem im haveing my dimms 3/4 wont work at all on a dfi landparty ut cfx 3200-dr/g

was told it mite be the controller tried 4 cpus but still dimm 3/4 wont work so im getting a new board

did you recently flash the bios?

Have you still got your 4800 Plats Darien ? If you have, have you tried posting with them in DC ?

Hey Kitfit1...

yeah.. no love...

I tried posting over at DFI club... but I didn't get any help... RGone just basically said it's not their problem and I'm screwed. :angry2:

Yes, i read your post there as well. It's not a problem that i've ever had, so i'm just as stumped as you are. All the things i would of suggested you've already tried. Just one thing sort of comes to mind though. On your SLI-D, the Vdimm jumpers are set to normal operation, and not to the high Vdimm setting ?

I can see why you're puzzled by this.

Unfortunately I can't really offer any insight into what the issue could be.

I'll be interested to hear if you get to the bottom of it.