Patriot Viper 1066/single ch only or crash

After having a fair bit of trouble with motherboards, I now have some issues with ram.

i got a triple pair of patriot viper, cl7, 1333mhz for 20 euro's, paired with an 2500k and a asrock extreme 4 gen3. 

One stick works fine, two only boot up when I put them in A1 and A2 slots, no other config is stable. i can't get

the third stick to work, but 4 gigs is enough, at least for me. 

Problem is, as soon as I change the clock to anything higher than 1066, the pc either boots up and shuts down,

or crashes when loggin in windows. XMP just crashes the pc immediately after post. 

Now with both stick at 1066 the system is stable, but according to cpu-z they operate in singlechannel mode.

Is there a way to get them to work in dual channel and or make them work at their advertised speed? It probabily 

is a compatibility issue, the mobo is up to date but that didn't do anything.

I'm going to give up building after this, too much of a headache :/

Edited by Wolfrider

The manual says A1 and B1 need to be populated first for dual channel (page 20 of manual). See if that helps any. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Extreme4%20Gen3/?cat=CPU#Support

If  a  pair  of  memory  modules  is  NOT  installed  in  the  same  Dual  Channel,  for  example,  installing  a  pair  of  memory modules  in  DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2, it is unable to activate the Dual Channel Memory Technology

It has all the signs of either bad memory, but could be issues with the slots on the board or even the CPU memory controller.

To rule out the slots try one stick of the known working ram in each slot one at a time, while not the preferred it should work with one stick of ram in any slot. Could try A2 & B2 if you haven't already also.

As for the other problems it's a bit harder to test without spare known working memory or CPU options. You could look into running memtest on the ram in the config that it will boot to maybe find errors.

The mobo blew up. Long time coming, with all the problems I've been having. Ram works as advertised on a mini itx build for a friend.

The rig was running 4.6ghz since sandy bridge launch, goodbye old friend

Edited by Wolfrider