Intel Announces X-Series CPUs with Pricing Information

news40959_1-intel_announces_xseries_cpus

Yesterday, we covered that Intel was planning to launch an 18 core/36 thread Core i9 CPU, and indeed the company has announced this behemoth, along with the rest of the X-series of CPUs. While we do not have launch dates for all of the processors yet, and many are just labeled as Q2 2017, we do have prices for the entire line. At the bottom of the pack, the four core/four thread Core i5-7640X will cost $242, while the four core/eight thread Core i7-7740X will be at $339. The six core/12 thread i7-7800X is not too much more expensive at $389, but then the eight core/16 thread i7-7820X jumps up to $599. This is more expensive than AMD's Ryzen 7 series that also features eight core/16 threads, but the i7-7820X has a base clock of 3.6 GHz, matching the Ryzen 7 1800X, and a boost clock of 4.3 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 or 4.5 GHz with Turbo Boost 3.0. The Ryzen 7 1800X only boosts to 4.0 GHz.

If you want more than eight cores/16 threads, there will be the i9-7900X that has a base clock of 3.3 GHz and boosts to 4.3 GHz under Turbo Boost 2.0 or 4.5 GHz under Turbo Boost 3.0. It will cost you $999, however. The i9-7900X is the last of the X-series we have much information on, with the higher-end parts only sharing core/thread counts and pricing. The Core i9-7980XE with its 18 cores and 36 threads is sitting at the top with a cost of $1999, while the 16 core/32 thread i9 7960X is at $1699. We do not yet know the pricing for AMD's 16 core/32 thread Ryzen Threadripper processors, but at least now we can see what it may most directly compete with. With 14 cores/28 threads, the i9-7940X will cost $1399 and the 12 core/24 thread i9-7920X will be just $1199.

As you can see, Intel has its X-series of processor set to stretch quite a range of markets, and each uses the same X299 chipset and LGA 2066 socket. You can check out the source links below for more information, especially the PDF with its charts.

Source: Intel [1] and [2] (PDF)

news40959_2-intel_announces_xseries_cpusnews40959_3-intel_announces_xseries_cpusnews40959_18600-intel_announces_xseries_

Back to original news post

Yours is the best info so far about Intel's new CPUs. I have a dream machine that I want to build using 270 architecture but may switch to the 299. Something I have noticed is that WHILE all of the Cores/Threads are nice is you are a composer of media (I am not) the clock speeds remain pretty much the same. It seems that in order to get to 5Ghz you have to use LNO. So, when will a CPU builder break the speed barrier? Would be nice to get 5Ghs oir higher right out of the box.

Lucky for me I do a fair amount of video processing, so at least I have an excuse to look at and imagine both Intel's and AMD's HEDT parts. Hopefully Threadripper will not have so high a price tag because I would love to throw x264 at 32 threads, but there isn't even word on when pricing will be announced.

For anyone who cares he starts to rant at 6mins. Now he does have some good points. What I disagree with is when he complains about the Kaby-Lake being ported over to the 2066 socket. I think Intel is going to try and do what AMD has been doing, which is stick to a single socket for longer. AM2,AM2+,AM3, AM3+ sockets was a flawed system because even though you could put a AM2 chip in a new board, the new chip didn't work the other way around because generally the extra wattage wasn't supported. Kinda AMD fault for failing to overspec the socket if they knew that it would be reused. AMD has said AMD4 socket will span from low APUs to high-end. I think Intel is going to and do the same thing and put everything on this X299 platform. I am tied of switching sockets every year for a chip that gets maybe 10% more performance.

Hes really just bashing Intel for actually over-specing (not a word) the socket. I'm happy Intel is doing this and Boo-Hoo if you buy a i5 and can't run quad channel memory and only able to use 24PCIE lanes.Some people don't need 44PCIE lanes or a need for anything more than a single video card and SSD.

For anyone who cares he starts to rant at 6mins. Now he does have some good points. What I disagree with is when he complains about the Kaby-Lake being ported over to the 2066 socket. I think Intel is going to try and do what AMD has been doing, which is stick to a single socket for longer. AM2,AM2+,AM3, AM3+ sockets was a flawed system because even though you could put a AM2 chip in a new board, the new chip didn't work the other way around because generally the extra wattage wasn't supported. Kinda AMD fault for failing to overspec the socket if they knew that it would be reused. AMD has said AMD4 socket will span from low APUs to high-end. I think Intel is going to and do the same thing and put everything on this X299 platform. I am tied of switching sockets every year for a chip that gets maybe 10% more performance.

Hes really just bashing Intel for actually over-specing (not a word) the socket. I'm happy Intel is doing this and Boo-Hoo if you buy a i5 and can't run quad channel memory and only able to use 24PCIE lanes.Some people don't need 44PCIE lanes or a need for anything more than a single video card and SSD.

For the most part I agree with your summary. Linus has always been more interested in content creation than the average user/gamer. Besides OCC I use Bitwit, JayzTwoCents, and others to see actual real time testing. They all have their own preferences and generally, but not always, give honest mother board and graphics card reviews. As a daily user and sometime gamer I want to build a system that is fast and reliable. I do not build content but do a lot of WEB browsing. OCC is one of my first daily sites to visit after I look at the news. Jumping to OCC after reading the various news stories is a perk up.