help needed for mobo situation.

My son has a 2600K cpu and he needs a new motherboard. (We think).

No socket 1155 boards available in Australia.

Should he get a Z97 socket 1150 and appropriate mobo, that supports his 8gig DDR3?

Or a latest socket type that needs DDR4?

Big price difference, but how good is the future of socket 1150?

A number of things need to be cosidered:

He may get a socket 1155 mobo from NewEgg.

He can probably get an old mobo from Ebay such as a 61 or a 67. (Not a good idea)

Maybe he can sell the CPU. (Not easy to do in Australia.

Please cough up some input to help him work things out.

Oh yes ... Happy Easter to you all.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me I would try and get another 1155 mb, the 2600k is still a high end cpu and that would be the cheapest solution. IMHO the newest cpu's and ddr4 memory are not worth the extra cost, so if he does decide to upgrade I think he should buy something which will work with his ddr3 memory. But first I'd make sure his mb is the problem and not something else.

Thanks, Spike. But there in is the problem. When a few things seemed out of sorts, he did a re-install. More than once. But nothing seems to point to a problem.

It started when I asked about a beep in another thread. Now he some times gets a black screen on start with the cursor in top right.

Then the times he wants to log into Origin, he gets the indicator in the task bar but when he clicks to enlarge, it goes up into the desktop but then disappears.. It seems as if the Origin window may be open, but is invisible.

But right now he is in Origin with no apparent problems. Nothing is consistent. I want him to use HD tune and swap his ram with mine, but so far we haven't done either thing.

NewEgg seems to be the only place to have an 1155 MoBo.

Definitely do the hd test, run memtest 86 from boot on each stick and if you can try to swap out the video card with a known good one, even change pcie slots if you can because one slot may be bad. You still have a lot of tests to do to confirm it's the mb. Did you use a multymeter on the psu ? I know all these tests take time but they won't cost you anything and may detect the exact problem and maybe save you buying a mb for no reason (or not).

Thanks for the input, prople.

His RAM is in my rig and vice versa. So far the ram seems good.

He did the HD tune overnight and his game HDD, D drive, had 0.9% error.

He does not get any blue screens. And the machine is not overclocked at all.

At the moment he is gaming and no errors have showed up. Actually he had no errors show up yesterday, either. It seems to be totally random.

Is it possible that a 0.9% error on the D drive could cause this?  Although the first indication of error was hanging at bootup. Which suggests (to me) the problem arises occasionaly from the C drive or what is on it. He has not done a HD tune on the C drive which is an SSD. (I told him not to) Do you think he should do a HD tune on his SSD?

PS: My ram was overclocked, so his ram is overclocked in my rig as the BIOS was not changed by me.

Edited by Cespenar

His ssd should have software to download from the manufacturer that will check it for any problems.

Edit- I just read his specs in your other post, his rig is almost identical to mine, I see you are using ram at 2133 MHz, the 2600k should use 1333 MHz by factory spec although I use 1600mhz without problem, it's possible the 2133 is too fast for the cpu memory controller which would cause the problems you are having, try downclocking the memory to 1333 and see what happens. Also ocz does have a toolkit that will check his ssd.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Okay guys. Things to do.

This afternoon, Dan told me that a low level noise has been evident 2 times. He siad it was like morse code. I asked "A sort of electrical buzz?" and he said yes, something like that.

Does this sound like the mobo? And have any of you guys heard a sound from a rig similar to this noise?

Spike I just checked the other post and the ram is running at 1600mhz. Can you verify or did you misread the specs.txt?And those specs are incorrect. I don't know if the CPU is a K or not.

Sorry to be long winded, but this problem is going to be a little hard to track down, I think.

Here is the updated notepad.

Edited by Cespenar

ok Ces, those specs have a different mb and ssd from what the specs were that I read, so the ram should run fine at 1600mhz ,but those gigabyte mb's are pretty reliable, the only difference between the 2600 vs 2600k is the k is unlocked so it's basically the same cpu. Is he hearing the sound from his speakers or from the mb itself ? When he was gaming or at idle ?The only time I'VE heard a buzz from the speakers when gaming it was the video card's driver problem and I just rolled back to an older driver to fix it.

The specs in your other post says z68 mb and ocz 120gb ssd plus a different video card so that's how I got f'd up.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/200107-gigabyte-motherboard-sound/

That's the link to the post I read for the specs.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Sorry about that Spike. My fault. I had his original purchase list. It was wrong. Delete that other thread please some one. It is now misleading.

Dan said this morning he was browsing the web, and this afternoon he was playing a game. Both times he heard the sound it came from his tower, not the speakers.

At first I thought it might be the HDD but now I just don't know.

And now that I think about it, that ram was installed by Techbuy in Sydney. The setting for it would have been set up by the seller. And the mobo he ordered was the Z68, obviously not available, so they gave him the Z77. The purchase paper was Z68, so my confusion confused you. Must be contagious. Sorry.