16 GB of RAM in P35 Chipset possible?

I finally got the chance to test this out. I purchased 2 packs of 2x4 GB modules. I installed all 16GB into the system. To my surprise, it posted on the first try registering all 16GB of RAM. The problem is when I tried to reboot the system a couple of times, it would stop on the memory test on the post and receive error code "4E". I then tried to set the timings and increase the DIMM volts up .5 and it seemed to be OK for a couple of more restarts. Eventually, it would randomly hang with the "4E" again. I then updated the BIOS from a 2007 version to 2009 version with no change.

Edited by uneedav8

What do you think made it finally work?

This will sound really dumb, but what I did to finally get it working was to install one module, boot up the system, install the second module, boot, all the way until all four was installed.

Edited by uneedav8

This will sound really dumb, but what I did to finally get it working was to install one module, boot up the system, install the second module, boot, all the way until all four was installed.

That is a bizarre solution. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to try that.

I find it interesting how computers can be made to have a certain state by varying just the approach.

When you're pushing the boundaries, sometimes you have to go with whatever makes it work.

You'd think the designers would know what the maximum would be.

As complicated as these things are, it's a wonder they're generally predictable and reliable.

I hope mine isn't as touchy.

Never try that once again!! :whistling:

• 1 year later...

What type of DDR2 memory did you use ? Was it ECC non-registered ? ECC registered ? or non ECC & non registered ? 

The only 4gb DDR2 modules i can find now, as being determined to try 16gb on my P35 board too, are for servers , they are all ECC & registered. 

^ Good nacro, eh?

+1 LOL, I was gonna come raise some hell for anyone attempting to put 16GB in a P35  but then found this :lol:

But hey, crazy things always happen in the world. :lol:

Edited by d6bmg