Important Notice About The Forum Reputation System

This could work well but we need to use it responsibly, that is why only certain areas should have reputation and that is why I think you should need to type a reason why you are REPing the member.

If that is what it takes for this system to not be abused then I say disable the whole thing until there is a way to make the members accountable for their votes.

• Like 4

Reputation is no longer being displayed in the user profile. Think of it more as a per-post type thing now.

Then what's the purpose of a reputation system? :dunno: Is it that we can just see the positive or negative rep if we happen to read that particular post? Seems to me that the feature has now been nerfed to being absolutely worthless.

• Like 1

Then what's the purpose of a reputation system? :dunno: Is it that we can just see the positive or negative rep if we happen to read that particular post? Seems to me that the feature has now been nerfed to being absolutely worthless.

It's been pretty worthless from the begining. As I said in the earlier post, it is now a per post type system. So yes, if you read the post you have an option to - / + it, and you can use the filter to hide posts below a certain threshold. If you don't read the post, then it doesn't really matter what the rep is, now does it?

I'll explain what I thought the reputations system was. I've seen posts here telling users to download more RAM, to add more fans to get an air cooler below ambient temps, and that a game the poster had never played themselves was a terrible game. A reputation system would let those asking questions know if the responder had any clue what he was talking about. Without that being in their profile then those asking questions would have no idea if the advice they are getting is useful or potentially harmful. That's all that I thought the rep system was for.

Now if someone wants to mark this post negative like you did the last one feel free it won't hurt my feelings. All I'm saying is that the feature as it stands now is so totally worthless as to not even be useful. I know it's something I'll never use now nor will I bother revisiting this thread. Seems it had potential but now...meh. I can see it's potential for abuse as well so I understand why it's been nerfed. Probably should just flush the feature now.

• Like 1

I'll explain what I thought the reputations system was. I've seen posts here telling users to download more RAM, to add more fans to get an air cooler below ambient temps, and that a game the poster had never played themselves was a terrible game. A reputation system would let those asking questions know if the responder had any clue what he was talking about. Without that being in their profile then those asking questions would have no idea if the advice they are getting is useful or potentially harmful. That's all that I thought the rep system was for.

Now if someone wants to mark this post negative like you did the last one feel free it won't hurt my feelings. All I'm saying is that the feature as it stands now is so totally worthless as to not even be useful. I know it's something I'll never use now nor will I bother revisiting this thread. Seems it had potential but now...meh. I can see it's potential for abuse as well so I understand why it's been nerfed. Probably should just flush the feature now.

'Reputation System' is simply the term Invision Power, the developer of the forum software, uses for this feature. What it actually means depends on how each individual website implements it within the limitations of the software. As stated in the origional announcement, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.... just like post count.

Let us expand on your examples above for a moment. Let's say that member "JoeUser" is an avid gamer, and enjoys helping members in the gaming forum. Because of his useful replies, he has earned a very high "overall rep". That's great, but one day JoeUser travels outside of his realm of expertise and attempts to help a user with a hardware issue. He posts some bad advice, and other members rate the posts down. He still has a high overall rep, but the specific post has a low rep, which one is more useful? In this case, the rating for the post is more important than JoeUser's overall rep.

How about user "SmallBlue" who has a welth of knowledge but is a bit arrogant or abrasive in his posts. He ends up on the bad side of members "Joe1," "Joe2," and "Joe3". Those three members make it a life goal to rate down every single post that SmallBlue makes. Does that mean that SmallBlue's post are inaccurate or not helpful? No. In theory, the down ratings of the 3 Joe's would be outnumbered by other members who realize that the information is valid and rate it up.

Like everything with the forums, the display of rep in the forum profile change. Heck, the rep system may go away completely. Right now, having the rep displayed is more of an issue as people keep trying to game the system (and as a result get banned).

Lol @ how every post in this thread has either a positive or negative reputation.

When I first joined I noticed there wasn't a reputation system. I wasn't really concerned with this, because overall, rep systems aren't really all that useful. It's too easy to "cheat the system" by rep trading, or even worse by negatively rating someone else's post for no reason.

• Like 1