Gun Rights and Politics

Silverfox

That got a little off-topic. I apologize. Here's the original point I wanted to address:

The way I see it, this really isn't matching what you've said since. Your point is not that you don't want them to have the data, but rather that you don't want it shared. Given that you say you are in favor of needing a permit to carry concealed, it would seem that you would have to support the government having data pertinent to that permit. You just don't want them sharing it.

I agree with the part about not sharing it. I don't agree with the part about keeping the data away from the government.

Exactly. The Constitution guarantees citizens the right to bear arms - to own them, or loosely translated to have them in public, which is where open carry laws come into play. Open carry is legal in most states so I don't have a gripe there. Carrying them concealed in public is a whole different animal, and I believe "common sense" regulations are necessary to attempt to regulate it in a positive fashion, i.e. making sure those people who are doing it are of mental capacity to do so. However, since gun ownership in general is such a controversial topic, concealed gun ownership in particular, I believe it prudent for the government to not make public the information of those who hold licenses to carry concealed, in order to protect the holders of those licenses and to protect the whole premise of conceal carry.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it prudent for the government to not make public the information of those who hold licenses to carry concealed, in order to protect the holders of those licenses and to protect the whole premise of conceal carry.

That's perfectly fair. The problem is, how do you stop it? I assume they're using the "public domain" argument to gain access to it, so what can you do?

A while ago when Michigan was in the hot-seat for its budget concerns a local paper got access to and published the compensation info for all government employees (me being one of those). I personally think this is not appropriate, but I also thought it wasn't a very big deal. Ideally I would not want that to happen and given the chance I would vote against it, but put in perspective it's just not that big of a concern for me. I'm against it, but in picking my battles, it wouldn't be one I'd fight. That's kind of how I feel about the carry permits and that's why I was trying to say it's not a big deal. I'm against it, but I guess to me it's just also not that big of a deal.

The problem with the zealots trying to get the list of citizens with CCW permits is that they aren't entitled to it since they aren't part of law enforcement investigating a crime.

Question their motive and you've got the answer.

In California this same group is publishing an illegally obtained list of people with "restricted access license plates". These plates are kept separate from the normal auto license database to protect the identity of the individual. Many are involved in private security or have high profile careers like prosecutors or legislators.

The main reason they want to release the list of permitted individuals is to target them in an effort to shame them into giving up their CCW permit. People get a CCW permit for the explicit reason that they don't want to appear different than everyone around them and having their names published defeats the purpose.

In California this same group is publishing an illegally obtained list of people with "restricted access license plates". These plates are kept separate from the normal auto license database to protect the identity of the individual. Many are involved in private security or have high profile careers like prosecutors or legislators.

The main reason they want to release the list of permitted individuals is to target them in an effort to shame them into giving up their CCW permit. People get a CCW permit for the explicit reason that they don't want to appear different than everyone around them and having their names published defeats the purpose.

Exactly.

I looked it up and it looks like it depends on the state whether CCW licenses are public domain or not. Georgia and Florida, for instance, do not provide the names of CCW holders to media "public domain" inquiries. States like Ohio do. I assume Tennessee does as well, otherwise the media would not have been able to get their hands on the list of names.

• 2 weeks later...
Wah wah wahp...

FAIL...

I know thats foolish and overused and ridiculous but honestly its the only thing I can think of to portray Obamas level of ignorance...

FAIL Obama... FAIL

Actually, I'm not sure you can really blame Obama for this one. I mean I'm sure he'll pass the bill if it gets to his desk, but the article repeatedly talks about "the Obama administration" doing this, and not Obama himself. It's hard to say from this article, but it doesn't look like this is Obama's initiative.

I know that's a rather minor point and as I said in the other thread I'm not trying to defend the AWB because I think it's a junk bill, but just that when people blamed Bush for stuff that wasn't really his initiative, a lot of people stepped up to correct it. I'm just doing the same here.

http://www.gunfacts.info/

Read away. The PDF is nice. I liked this tidbit about (dun dun dun) ASSAULT WEAPONS!!

Myth: Assault weapons are a serious problem in the U.S.

Fact: In 1994, before the Federal "assault weapons ban", you were eleven (11) times more likely to be beaten to death than to be killed by an