#1 neddamttocs

neddamttocs

Total Nerd

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

OCC Review: Coolink Silentator Heatpipe Cooler

Being a reviewer, Coolink has provided me with 3 different mounting kits and a required mounting kit (pressure springs and fastening brackets). These were for LGA 775, AM2 and K8 (754, 939 and 940). However, as a consumer, you must choose which kit you need before purchasing, as the Silentator will be available in one of these three varieties. Coolink also provide a mounting bracket for a fan controller, as well as a long steel screwdriver with a 90 degree bend in it. This is required for mounting in some cases, as the mounting bolt must be accessed from through the cooler itself (seen later). Some extra goodies include a 3-pin fan to Molex adaptor (in the event that you don’t have a spare motherboard 3-pin header), some thermal paste and a second fan mounting kit. The Silentator allows for two 120mm fans to be attached. Very generous. Finally, a lovely booklet is included with a rubbery case sticker. The book was the part that made me laugh – “...my computer is so silent that I can hear the snowflakes falling.

Posted Image

OCC Rules || Follow OCC on Posted Image

Posted Image

| Intel E8400 | Asus P5Q | 4GB of G.Skill PQ 8000 RAM | Palit 4850 512MB Sonic | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 |
| 2x 320GB in Raid0 for OS + 750GB for data | D-Link DNS323 w/2TB for Media |

#2 jammin

jammin

e = MC Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6337 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

Seems like a nice cooler. It would be interesting to see how it would compare to the Noctua which is so similar (with a good reason obviously).

Good review as well, not bad for a first run out. :)

Posted Image
Recommended Power Supplies List - Follow OCC on Posted Image
Custom case - i5 2500K - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z - 8GB Mushkin - HD6670 1GB - Corsair AX850 - E-MU 0404 USB

#3 Silverfox

Silverfox

Day of the Testicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Seems like a nice cooler. It would be interesting to see how it would compare to the Noctua which is so similar (with a good reason obviously).

Good review as well, not bad for a first run out. :)

Oh and thanks again for assisting with the image processing...one day I'll figure out Photoshop properly!

As for the comparison to the Noctua, I believe it is actually the exact same heatsink, so it'd be down to the performance of the fans used.

:: T-Class Amp :: BenQ EW2430 :: PulseBox Premium ::

:: Kef Cresta :: i5 2500 :: HD 6870 :: 16GB RAM ::

#4 kendellrt

kendellrt

My computer can beat up your honor student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4026 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

Very thorough review. Anyone who hasn't read it before installing this cooler is in for a big surprise come installation time. I am surprised that it stood up to the Ninja so well. However, I wold not purchase this cooler simply due to the maintenance required for initial installation or upgrade.
The member formerly known as chavalcito.

#5 Silverfox

Silverfox

Day of the Testicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:39 PM

Very thorough review. Anyone who hasn't read it before installing this cooler is in for a big surprise come installation time. I am surprised that it stood up to the Ninja so well. However, I wold not purchase this cooler simply due to the maintenance required for initial installation or upgrade.

While it was an involved installation, with a bit of forethought and planning, it was (in hindsight) actually quite easy. Hopefully though, people won't fall in to the same traps I did ... if only you could have heard the colourful language coming from my mouth when I realised that the tray wasn't going to slide in ... !

#6 hardnrg

hardnrg

Overclocking the i7... finally

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16487 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

lol... you n yer fancy slidey tray :lol:

ace review :D

( How To Ask A Question ) · ( F@H Sigpics ) · ( Rules ) · ( USB Bootdrive ) · ( Modding & Computer Stores ) · ( OCC facebook.png )
i7 920 D0 @ 21x196=4116, HT on · D-Tek Fuzion v1 · 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 @ DDR1176, 8-8-8-22-1T
BFG/XFX GTX260 Maxcore SLI @ 756/1512/1188 (Swiftech MCW60-R + Swiftech GTX200) · Asus P6T Deluxe V2
X-Fi XtremeMusic (Hotrodded) · PCP&C Silencer 750

Athlon II X4 635 @ 2900 · 2x 2GB PC2-6400 · HD5550 1GB · Asus M4A77D · Antec Neopower 480

EeePC 1000H @ 12x164=1965 · 1x 2GB Corsair VS PC2-5300 · Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 GN-WI06N

#7 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32049 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

Very nice review Jack :)

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#8 kingdingeling

kingdingeling

King of the Autobahn

• Folding Member
  • 10247 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:17 AM

Nice review! Also a nice product, although the name really sucks :lol:

I guess I have no excuse for not being as awesome as King... - iKillSteal

Seriously, big credit goes out to King for maintaining this list. He puts a lot of work into this thing and he deserves our thanks! - Verran

RIP

| Samsung P480-Pro | Core i3 370M 2.4GHz | 4GB DDR3-1066 | GeForce GT330M | 320GB | 14" |

#9 Silverfox

Silverfox

Day of the Testicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

lol yes, the name is a bit amusing...but then as I said - it fits in nicely with the other "special ones".

I think that in a bigger case, people would find that their temps were even better, due to better airflow and probably better (bigger) fans getting rid of that air.

#10 Silverfox

Silverfox

Day of the Testicle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

As for the comparison to the Noctua, I believe it is actually the exact same heatsink

Note to those interested: this cooler is NOT the same as the Noctua - one of the helpful guys at Coolink explained this to me:

"Firstly, the Silentator has ony got 3 heatpipes whereas the
NH-U12F has got 4. Secondly, the shape of the fins is different as you
can see here: http://www.dvhardwar...a_nh_u12f/6.jpg
As a result, the NH-U12F has a larger surface area than the Silentator."

Forgive my misstatement! Either way, after a couple of weeks with the cooler in my case, I've had no problems whatsoever. I hope that more people have considered this as a viable option :)