• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maxxx15

maxxx15

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

hello everyone,
i have bought a seagate goflex 2tb external harddisk. . is it possible to install windows or any other os in this external hdd. .if yes then i would like to know the procedure. .i have googled a lot on this but in vain. .plz help.
thanks in advance!

#2 ComputerEd

ComputerEd

Voice of Computing Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

Gonna depend on the motherboard and if it will accept a boot from USB device. You will need to go into the BIOS and configure for it to see a USB drive as a Hard Drive. Unless this is a USB3 device or a ESATA this is gonna be really slow.

Get your GEEK on ever week with Computer Ed Radio

http://computeredradio.com  http://facebook.com/computered

#3 90sgamer

90sgamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

If that HDD is USB 2.0 you should be able to see it when you boot up your windows disk and install to it. Anything that needs an extra driver (USB 3.0 for instance) you won't be able to see because the driver for the controller isn't on the windows disk.

HOWEVER this is VERY inadvisable. Your boot up and general use will be very slow compared to an internal SATA connected drive. Why do you want to use an external drive as your OS drive? It really defeats the purpose of being external.

If you have a desktop, you should take the Hard drive out of that case attach it inside your computer via SATA. However, even then, usually the hard drives found in those external drives are pretty slow, have low cache, and have energy saving features that reduce performance (like WD's caviar greens which are found in their external drives)

If you have a laptop, you are going to have to haul that thing where ever you go, and if you ever disconnect it, your computer will obviously be unusable.

You haven't found anything on Google because this really doesn't make any sense, At all.
Sorry man.

Tell us more about the situation to see if there is some other option to help you out.

[Thor] Windows 7 Pro x64 || Rosewill Thor V2 || Core i7 3770k || ASUS Sabertooth Z77 || 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 || EVGA Geforce GTX 670 || ASUS Xonar DSX || Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || Corsair TX850 ||

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Simone] Ubuntu Linux 64bit || Antec 200 || Core i7 920 || ASUS Rampage III Formula || 6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 || XFX Radeon 5870 || WD Caviar Blue || Corsair TX650M ||

My Steam Profile My Facebook Profile

#4 bigball1

bigball1

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

Plus if you install windows, depending on the ver. It will only work with the computer you are using it on, as the drivers wont work. Unless its 7.

But why are you doing this?

#5 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15070 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Installing Windows (of any type) on a portable partition isn't officially supported at all. If you can even get it working, it's likely it'll break with future updates. Why do you want to boot from USB anyway?

Posted Image

Booyah.

#6 maxxx15

maxxx15

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

i want to instal windows in an external hdd coz i travel a lot and need to carry my data.Recently i came across a pc with no os in my workspace and i was to do a presentation. Since the windows installion disk was not around, i came up with the idea to install windows with some basic drivers on my external hdd.

I tried to install winxp but after d installation files were copied,when it restarted,it came up with blue screen showing windows has encountered a problem and need to close. .

If not windows then is it ppssible to install linux? i mean 'install' not a startup disk. .plz rply

#7 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15070 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

You can boot and run a small Linux distro off of a thumb drive very easily. There are quite a few distros designed exactly for that purpose (though I haven't kept up with them in recent years).

Posted Image

Booyah.

#8 bigball1

bigball1

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

You can boot and run a small Linux distro off of a thumb drive very easily. There are quite a few distros designed exactly for that purpose (though I haven't kept up with them in recent years).

Those work great!!! :withstupid:

You can also do one on a dvd/cd too. Plus a thumb drive for your info.

All you need is to make sure the system can boot off a thumb drive. Which mostly anything in the last 5-6 years can. No need to worry about drivers crashing, not installed, anything.

#9 maxxx15

maxxx15

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thanx Waco.
can you name such distros?

#10 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • 20072 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

:withstupid: 3rded
get a nicely sized (I'd say 16GB minimum) USB flash drive and make it bootable for a live cd setup or some distros may just have a utility that automatically sets it up as one.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#11 maxxx15

maxxx15

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

:withstupid: 3rded
get a nicely sized (I'd say 16GB minimum) USB flash drive and make it bootable for a live cd setup or some distros may just have a utility that automatically sets it up as one.

Thanx everyone..Finally I got what i wanted!!