8Pin PCI-E connector

When I get a 2900XT I dont really want to have to buy a new psu with the 8 pin PCI-E connector on it. Does it need to be plugged in? Can you just plug in a 6 pin and it will sill work? Is there an adapter that you can buy?

i have the same PSU. you can safely use the 2 existing 6 pin PCIE connectors. only thing that you'll loose out on is Ati Overdrive in CCC. it only get's enabled when the card sees an 8-pin PCIE connector in it.

there are 6-pin to 8-pin adapters which will enable Overdrive, although i don't think your actually getting the higher wattage to the card so overclocking will be limited. if im not mistaken 6 pin PCIE delivers 75w and 8 pin does 150w.

there are 6-pin to 8-pin adapters which will enable Overdrive, although i don't think your actually getting the higher wattage to the card so overclocking will be limited. if im not mistaken 6 pin PCIE delivers 75w and 8 pin does 150w.

Power delivery capabilities are based on the wire gage and number of conductors. So if 1 6-pin PCI-e connector can provide 75W, running 2 in parallel can certainly provide 150W. 8-pin PCI-e connectors use larger gage wire to provide the came power with fewer conductors.

Ok cool, but I take it my psu wont work if I decide to get a crossfire setup. And another question if I got a case that fits 2 psu's will an Antec TruepowerII TPII 550 run a 2900XT?

Ok cool, but I take it my psu wont work if I decide to get a crossfire setup. And another question if I got a case that fits 2 psu's will an Antec TruepowerII TPII 550 run a 2900XT?

If your current PSU has 4 6-pin PCI-e power connectors then you should be fine running 2900s in Xfire; otherwise you could use another PSU as a slave to power the 2nd 2900.

Power delivery capabilities are based on the wire gage and number of conductors. So if 1 6-pin PCI-e connector can provide 75W, running 2 in parallel can certainly provide 150W. 8-pin PCI-e connectors use larger gage wire to provide the came power with fewer conductors.

right, im not saying 2 6pins together aren't feeding 150w. what im saying is that if you have 1 6pin PCIE in one of the 2900XT's power slots, and another 6 pin cable adapted to 8pin for the 6/8pin PCIE slot is it really giving you 150w down that adapted 6pin cable since its rated for 75w?

The two additional wires for the 2900xt are ground wires. The only purpose they serve on this card is to enable OverDrive. Adapting a 6 pin connector will work fine.

The two additional wires for the 2900xt are ground wires. The only purpose they serve on this card is to enable OverDrive. Adapting a 6 pin connector will work fine.

popping 1 x 6 pin and 1x 8pin PCIE enables overdrive since 2x 6 pins don't give enough power to the card for effective OCing. so what your saying is even though a 6pin PCIE is a 75w lead from PSU's, adapting it to 8pin will draw 150w which is how much a standard 8pin PCIE draws?