Gaming rig $400 confused about cpu+Mobo and Gpu

khaledbinhamdan

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page3.html

that must be one special 660ti you have, this one benched 27 on ultra with that resolution

That benchmark is way off...   If you guys want I can take a screen shot of my settings page with the FPS overlay on...  I never go below 60...

WarWeeny: Yeah you're right, Ps2 is more cpu demanding than gpu.  But I've also played Far Cry 4 on max settings and while I never actually looked at the FPS I never felt like it was low.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the total budget is $500, correct? If you don't mind shopping around and using rebates, something like this would get you a touch over the $500 max.

If you want to drop down to a different CPU and bump up to a more powerful video card, then this is something to consider. Little bit more over that $500, but not terrible. Dropping to a R9 290 would get you under $500, like so.

For Intel, you would probably best be served getting just the CPU and mobo for now, and then a video card later on, provided you don't have easy access to a Micro Center.

Thanks

I am considering this as you suggested.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jcXLK8

I need people opinion on the fx6300 (from the owners of it).

You're welcome. One of my friends has the FX-6300, but unfortunately his video card is on the fritz. I can ask him how he likes the 6300 when I get the chance, unless something with that CPU here chimes in before. Reviews of it do seem favorable, especially in regards to its overclocking potential and gaming performance, just it isn't as fast as its Intel counterparts.

Yeah that must be a magical 660ti you got there.

I'd stay away from the fx-6300, and would even go for an intel i3 over it.  The i3 can do really good in gaming matching the 8320e in game http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/. But really you are only another 50 bucks away from an i5 so how tight of a budget do you really have?

Graphics card depends on what you want out of it.  Just 1080p?  Either a gtx960 or r9-280 would do you good on a budget.  A 280x would be better but the extra 50 would be better spent on the i5 I think.  

I get an intel i3 or i5 system and then scoop up a used 7970 (280x) and have a blast. My 7970 does damn well at 2560x1600 at near max if not max so 1080P is a cake walk

Also a good idea. Going the i5 route would definitely offer the best performance for the price. Add in a used card now or wait to see if the R9 300 series drops the price on the R9 200s to get one of those later on.

So the total budget is $500, correct? If you don't mind shopping around and using rebates, something like this would get you a touch over the $500 max.

If you want to drop down to a different CPU and bump up to a more powerful video card, then this is something to consider. Little bit more over that $500, but not terrible. Dropping to a R9 290 would get you under $500, like so.

For Intel, you would probably best be served getting just the CPU and mobo for now, and then a video card later on, provided you don't have easy access to a Micro Center.

Thanks

I am considering this as you suggested.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jcXLK8

I need people opinion on the fx6300 (from the owners of it).

You're welcome. One of my friends has the FX-6300, but unfortunately his video card is on the fritz. I can ask him how he likes the 6300 when I get the chance, unless something with that CPU here chimes in before. Reviews of it do seem favorable, especially in regards to its overclocking potential and gaming performance, just it isn't as fast as its Intel counterparts.

It seems intel are bettet but the problem if i want to overclock i need to buy k cpu and z97 mobo which are expensive.

Yeah that must be a magical 660ti you got there.

I'd stay away from the fx-6300, and would even go for an intel i3 over it. The i3 can do really good in gaming matching the 8320e in game http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/. But really you are only another 50 bucks away from an i5 so how tight of a budget do you really have?

Graphics card depends on what you want out of it. Just 1080p? Either a gtx960 or r9-280 would do you good on a budget. A 280x would be better but the extra 50 would be better spent on the i5 I think.

I guess it is better to buy the i5 4690k with a z97 motherboard and wait until the graphic cards prices drop after the release of AMD 300 series.

I get an intel i3 or i5 system and then scoop up a used 7970 (280x) and have a blast. My 7970 does damn well at 2560x1600 at near max if not max so 1080P is a cake walk

Also a good idea. Going the i5 route would definitely offer the best performance for the price. Add in a used card now or wait to see if the R9 300 series drops the price on the R9 200s to get one of those later on.

I guess i will get the i5 4690k and a z97 asrock extreme4 motherboard. And try to get a used graphic card.

^ not a bad idea.  Swapping in a new graphics card once in a while is easy, a new mobo and cpu though...you don't want to do that very often.

Agreed. New video card just means wiping the drivers. New CPU and mobo is a bit more involved, so yeah, going with something like the i5 4690K and a Z97 board is the way to go. The HD 6790 will still be fine until something new comes along.