Best option for an at home Cloud Storage setup

Perscitus

people who don't know this can lose all their data from doing something simple like upgrading freeNAS software without first dismounting the drives

for instance, if you have a drive in freeNAS version 9 and remove it without dismounting it might not be recognized in freeNAS 8 and all your data might get lost

you won't have this problem with windows

What?

No drive is safe to remove without first telling the OS. Sure, FreeNAS is very n00b unfriendly but if you're careful and check the user guides before major work then you'll have no trouble.

Totally forgot to export my zpools when uninstalling Ubuntu 12.04 and installing 14.04. Zpools didn't show up with zpool list, but still let me import them without any issues. Migrated from FreeBSD to Ubuntu without issues with my zpools as well (exported that time).

-------------------------

You can get by with low-end hardware for a server. As you see my specs below. I would recommend Ubuntu with ZFS, it'll give you more choices of software to run rather than waiting for someone to port it to FreeBSD or waiting for your NAS OS to support it. You'll lose the web GUI from NAS boxes, but you can install similar stuff like Webmin and install scripts that handle automated scrubs and snapshots.

Edited by AZNguyen

• 2 weeks later...

you might just consider using leaving your home computer on instead

I would consider this, but honestly don't trust the user habits of my gf. I would like for the storage to be isolated away from my personally PC. 

you might just consider using leaving your home computer on instead

I would consider this, but honestly don't trust the user habits of my gf. I would like for the storage to be isolated away from my personally PC. 

Well, in that case, password protecting the HDDs (or part of HDDs) should work as one of the simpliest solutions.

Edited by d6bmg

• 4 weeks later...

Trying buy what I need for this now. Wondering if I should use my old MoBo+cpu+mem (core 2 duo e6750 if I remember right). It's been sitting the a box not being used for a couple years now... worked fine last time I used it, but can't rely on it now and not sure if it would last very long regardless. That said, if I only purchase the other stuff I'd be saving some cash, but taking the risk of needing to buy more. Another option is to buy some deal like this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1571492, which is in my price range and all new stuff, so should have a longer lifespan. I would also need another 2tb drive to add to it. But overall my focus at the moment is hardware and hopefully some deals on the hardware since it's that time of year.

Any better suggestions are very much appreciated.

• 4 months later...