Our Sapphire HD 3870 Video Card Review is posted

Bosco

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No author? I'm always curious to know who writes the reviews I'm reading. :)

Actually, this statement makes me wonder...

The Sapphire HD 3780 is by far the best video card that I have ever tested. It proved that it is a card that is almost as good as an 8800GTS 640MB.

Can someone explain to me how it can be the best and not the best at the same time? It seems like the author tries very hard to make this look like a god among GPUs, like he's on ATI's payroll or something. <_< Sure, it might be great performance for the price, but let's run it against a GTX to put things in perspective.

Buuuut, I'm not just here to complain. Good review overall. I want to see how this perform with new drivers. :thumbs-up:

The author is Makaveli just below the title.

We did not have results for the GTX at the time of this launch but there is a few things to consider here:

One the price is very good no doubt about that.

Drivers again like every other time ATI comes out with a card drivers are an issue.

We have done some testing on newer games that are not posted yet the card does have potential.

For what ATI has at the moment it is the best of the best of what they have to offer. I guess depending on how you read into can cause some confusion. Nick can offer some of his comments when he comes online next. :) Hope that helps a little.

The author is Makaveli just below the title.

Ah, I completely missed that... the author's name is in a different place than it used to be. I was looking for an "Author: " heading.

We did not have results for the GTX at the time of this launch but there is a few things to consider here:

One the price is very good no doubt about that.

Drivers again like every other time ATI comes out with a card drivers are an issue.

We have done some testing on newer games that are not posted yet the card does have potential.

For what ATI has at the moment it is the best of the best of what they have to offer. I guess depending on how you read into can cause some confusion. Nick can offer some of his comments when he comes online next. :) Hope that helps a little.

I try to remain skeptical when reading reviews for new products, especially for hot topics like this one. Like I said, it's a good review overall, but I think some parts (namely the conclusion) should be reworded to avoid giving the wrong impression... because it really sounds like he's trying to say that this is the best card available. :unsure:

We've all seen what kind of performance ATI can pull out of its collective hat with driver releases. I'm sure everyone remembers thinking the 2900XT was a big turd when it came out because it performed so poorly. Are you going to keep the old results up to compare them with the new? I think you should so people can see that there's the potential for future performance increases with driver updates (if that's actually the case).

I try to remain skeptical when reading reviews for new products, especially for hot topics like this one. Like I said, it's a good review overall, but I think some parts (namely the conclusion) should be reworded to avoid giving the wrong impression... because it really sounds like he's trying to say that this is the best card available. :unsure:

Sorry for the confusion in the conclusion, I fixed it up a little bit. I meant to say that this card was the best ATi card that I've ever tested.

Thanks for the input and I'm sorry for the confusion.

Also, I'll be sure to post my findings with the new drivers that are released later today.

that's an amazing price for a reasonably capable card, I guess it's bye-bye X1950Pro and 8800GTS 320, make way for the new cheap-performer

And I just bought an X1950Pro... :(

Guest christopher3393

Initial availability of this card is lookin' pretty limited. Reports prior to today varied on availability but there was consensus that ATI is focussing on getting the 3850 out. I found them on NCIX but the fine print said "Extremely allocated product - please expect 1-3 week delays". They are bundling the card w/ Call of Juarez and an activation code for Valve's Black Box all for $239.00 + shipping.

Thanks for the review Makaveli. Reviews today seem al over the place on this card. I liked Hardware Canuck's review. It pointed out that the card ramps down automatically during 2D usage, that a number of aftermarket coolers for the 1900 and 2900 fit (he tried the Thermaltake DuOrb w/ great results!) and that on his HIS sample, while GPU OCing potetial looks moderate, you can get a great OC on the memory. Sounds really good to me!

Edited by christopher3393