Project: Stocker!

tazwegion

Project: Stocker

Well, I thought I'd do a little experimentation to the HsF cooler supplied with my 2500+ Barton (retail pack), pondering to myself, what kind of performance could be achieved with such a basic product (most often discarded)? <_<

System for testing

AMD 2500+ (@stock)

Nf7-s version 2.0

Gigabyte 9600XT 128M

Corsair XMS 3200 256M DDR x 2

Coolermaster 'Centurion Case' + 450W

80G Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD

Case fans

Intake - CoolerMaster 80mm SL 12v .12A/1.5w

Exhaust - Sunon 80mm SL 37cfm @ 2700rpm 12v 2.3w

Cpu booster - YLTC 60mm BB 17.74cfm @ 4200rpm 12v 0.17A/2w

Cpu original - AVC 60mm BB 14.20cfm @ 3000rpm 12v 0.8A/0.96w

Heating things up

Okay, I did all this testing in one day (to ensure continuety), room ambient was 17c (stable) and for all intensive purposes (during this evaluation) centigrade will be used, MBM 5.3.3.0 will be our measuring software, and all readings were taken after 30 mins of running dual instances of Folding@Home version 4.0.

Let's have a look at this AMD supplied unit (manufactured by AVC), all aluminium construction with a copper insert in the base, a 60mm 14.20cfm @ 3000rpm rated fan, and a sprung lever-type retaining bracket & a standard fare adhesive thermal pad...pretty basic eh? As you can see from the illustration, the machining standard on base of this HsF is quite good, what you can't see are the scratches put in the copper insert by some drongo (but we'll do something about that later). ;)

prelapped.gif

In it's standard form the HsF performed as detailed below, in the MBM snapshot...

pretemp1.gif

Modification :1

I took an additional 60mm 4200rpm fan (YLTC BB) + longer self-threading screws, and stacked it on top of the original setup (AVC BB), to my suprise, despite restricting the RPM's of the 2nd fan, this simple little 'mod' apparently achieved a drop of nearly 7c, as displayed by the following MBM snapshot...

dualstack.gif

pretemp2.gif

Modification :2

Spurred on by this success, I just 'had' to lap this baby and replace that awful thermal pad, here was the result of a quick 'lap job' on that stocker, you'll find a guide on lapping HsF's [here] this was the result... you can actually see the $2.00 coin eh? :P

lapped.gif

Now to bring it all together, for the final stage... our thermal grease will be of a vanilla variety namely Unick silicone thermal compound, available at all good electronics stores & Radio Shack. :P specifications are as follows...

n1205.jpg

# - Bleed (after 24 hours @ 200

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I already knew the performance of a stocker lol. Stock cooling is all I have ever used on any of my rigs. I got one question though. MBM showed 45c at stock speeds? that is crazy with my stock cooling I got 45c at well over stock speeds.

Nice write up Taz. I have 3 VAntec Aeroflow heat sinks with the copper core and I wasn't sure if they were "lappable". Did you lap it like you would an all copper heat sink?

Nice, I already knew the performance of a stocker lol. Stock cooling is all I have ever used on any of my rigs. I got one question though. MBM showed 45c at stock speeds? that is crazy with my stock cooling I got 45c at well over stock speeds.

I had to show the performance of the original unit, so I could display the general improvement made... :P

Also 45c was 1c higher, than when I used the supplied thermal pad, thus 'vanilla' is worse than those crappy pads! :lol:

The temp is @ full load (dual F@H instances), and the case only has 2 fans 1 intake & 1 exhaust, not sure of the intakes spec's but it'd be around 20cfm, cause it's only rated @ around half the ampage of the exhaust ;)

A work in progress you could say!

Still 7 degrees, is 7 degrees cooler gotta' get some AS5 & YS tech 40cfm fan, plus upgrade that intake unit today ;)

Nice write up Taz. I have 3 VAntec Aeroflow heat sinks with the copper core and I wasn't sure if they were "lappable". Did you lap it like you would an all copper heat sink?

:blink: I wasn't aware there was a different method... I did a quick job 30mins, 800 - 1200 - 2000 grit, using the technique detailed in the linked guide.