How To Fix Error 80240020 From Windows 10 Update Process

Guest_Jim_*

A lot of people, myself included, have been looking forward to the release of Windows 10, so when word came out that there was a way to force the update early, the method spread and many people tried it. For many this worked fine and they got to update their computer to the latest and greatest Windows OS. For others, however, the update failed and gave an error 80240020. The good news is that a fix was found, along with a possible explanation.

To fix the error you have to delete all of the downloaded files, which can be found in the C:\$Windows.~BT. It is a hidden folder, so make sure you can see those, and some files will not be deleted, but remove those that you can. Also empty out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Now you should be able to run the wuauclt.exe /updatenow command again, this time successfully. Alternatively you should be able to use the Media Creation Tool, which worked for me.

Apparently, the error was the result of so many people trying to download the update that the files became corrupted or the download did not complete correctly. Either way, clearing out the files and trying again can resolve the issue and you can get to updating.

Source: WCCFtech

Back to original news post

I'm unable to upgrade as well. Getting error code 80070003, which apparently means that something is wrong with Windows Update. I downloaded the update five times yesterday (at 2.7GB each time), and couldn't get it to work. I've literally tried all of the troubleshooting steps I've been able to find on the Internet, but nothing works. I'm just going to wipe the machine at some point and try to get Windows 10 after I install a ton of other updates, lol. I wish I could just do a clean wipe without upgrading from 8.1 first.

Guest Guest

I also get the code on my over qualified HP PC, but I know it can be fixed, thank u btw, but if I do NOTHING will it start its d/load anyway when its my turn? Because seriously, you people know what you are doing. Me, not so much

I also get the code on my over qualified HP PC, but I know it can be fixed, thank u btw, but if I do NOTHING will it start its d/load anyway when its my turn? Because seriously, you people know what you are doing. Me, not so much

For the most part, it should download when your machine is ready for it and there are no other updates currently pending.

@gebraset, did you try that Media Creation Tool?

i was about to snivel about my win10 download not working yet on my lappy but then i checked again just now and it has just started,....2712.6 meg,...0% complete....it killing my verizon hotspot but wth,....

By the way, I got the same error as well.. To fix it..(you are going to love this) I deleted the files in the folder and ran the command from prompt 6 times.. Meaning it failed and I cleaned and ran the line again

And it worked.. Now I am in Windows 10.. 

Edited by Gremlin

@gebraset, did you try that Media Creation Tool?

No, I didn't try it because from my understanding, my 8.1 key won't work on a fresh install of Windows 10. From the information I have gathered, the 8.1 key is "converted" into a new Windows 10 key when you upgrade, and only after you upgrade can you perform a clean install of 10 on that machine.

Unless I'm mistaken? :O