m2 ssd in 1TB capacity

Laststop

I ordered an ncase m1 while they were available since it was a limited 1000 production run.   http://www.ncases.com/v2/m1.php

It's an amazing mini-itx case incredibly small yet has all the power of an atx mid size tower. I bought it awhile ago and I'm thinking of doing the build. I'm not using any 2.5" or 3.5" storage (By going m2 only it opens up all the vents for a 120mm fan for maximum cooling). The mini itx asus board has an m2 slot on the back of the board. The only 1TB m2 SSD that I'm aware of is the Samsung sm951 but it's an oem only product and it might be hard to procure. I really need a 1TB m2 ssd since it's the only storage on the entire system. I also need it to be a pci-e version not a sata version.

The build is something like this:

i5-5670k (broadwell unlocked i5)

Asus Z97 mini itx mobo

GTX 880 Maxwell

Corsair H100i CPU cooler

Gelid GC extreme TIM

Aerocool DS 120mm fans

Noctua 92mm exhaust fan

1TB m2 SSD pci-e interface

Silverstone 450 watt SFX PSU

Panasonic Slim slot load blu ray writer

Gskill 2400Mhz 2x8GB ram

Yes I know broadwell and maxwell arent out yet but they will both be out before the end of the year and im in no rush to finish this I'm typing this from an x58 i7-980x radeon 5870 system so i'm not hurting badly to finish the new system but I want a portable mini itx system to add to my collection. I'm just unsure if I will be able to get the storage drive i need. Any ideas where I can find the samsung sm951 or another 1tb pci-e m2 ssd?

If you're in no hurry, I recommend waiting.

1. You can always velcro a 2.5" SSD or attach an mSATA SSD. They're so small, you don't need to put them in a drive bay (I hardly ever do these days).

2. An m.2 SSD still has some kinks they need to work out. You're still better off going two 2.5" SSD's in RAID 0, and you'll get faster results without taking up PCIE bandwidth, and it'll be much cheaper. The m.2 SSD's are at a premium right now, and it doesn't come close to getting to their max potential speed-wise.

In addition to this, support for booting your OS via m.2 PCIE still isn't available, from what I'm aware of. There are some motherboards that will support booting your OS via m.2, but not using a PCIE slot (uses the motherboard's m.2 slot). I could be wrong, I haven't been keeping tabs on this lately.

3. You're not wanting a discrete graphics card with your build? A PCIE m.2 SSD will take up your only slot.

Edited by El_Capitan

I think you are confused. The asus board uses pci-e 2.0 x2 lanes from the PCH for the m2 slot on the back of the board the gpu slot is untouched. Others are confused it does not use the pci-e 3.0 x16 slot on the mini itx board it uses a small plug on the back of the mobo. 1TB is not a lot of space if that is going to be your only storage drive. The case is very small and i want all the airflow totally unobstructed so I'm not using any 3.5" or 2.5" drives just the m2 drive on the back of the mobo. I will be using a GTX 880 gm204 gpu 16 pci-e 3.0 lanes from cpu and the m2 slot 2 lanes of pci-e 2.0 from the PCH the m2 slot afford 10gbit/s bandwidth like 1200MB/sec yes i know the samsung xp951 has a pci-e 3.0 x4 capability but no mini itx has an m2 slot that uses 4x lanes from the cpu as that downgrades ur gpu slot to 8x which is still fast enough and i'd of done that if I had the option.

People on here seem to think i meant using the actual pci-e slot on the mobo. What i meant by pci-e ssd is that m2 can be sata or pci-e built into the lil m2 slot. The asus z97 mini itx with m2 slot is a 2x pci-e 2.0 interface from the PCH.

If i used 2x 2.5" in raid 0 it would block me from installing 1x 120mm fan and i dont want that.

If samsung can make a 1TB m2 sized drive than others should be able to. the sm951 is said to already be shipping to oems but its not a consumer product its sold only to oems. Isn't there someone on the inside of the community that can find me a drive for sale? You would be helping a rly cool build thats rly powerful and tiny enough to fit in the palm of 1 hand

Edited by Laststop

I guess m2 ssd's really aren't that known yet. Most people seemed confused about the whole m2 pci-e interface. But it looks like I have lots of time. Broadwell for the desktop wont be out till q2 2015 most likely. For some reason i thought it would be out q4 2014. Intel really delaying the hell out of broadwell.

You say you "need" it to be a PCIe rather than SATA disk...why? Do you have an application for all that bandwidth?

Just wondering what drives the requirements - buying an OEM-only drive is incredibly difficult first-hand.

well why have an m2 pci-e interface and not use it?

This build is going to be a gaming/htpc/lan party machine i love getting together with all my buddies making a big network computers everywhere living room kitchen bedrooms rooms hot as hell from all the pc's running. Playin some diablo 2 LOD. Whats up with all the new games having no LAN support it's a real shame its such a fun way to play games with all your nerdy friends.I can see myself being 70 years old still LAN gaming it up.

Edited by Laststop