Problem setting up Cable internet.

I just finished building the comp in my sig. But I can not connect to the internet. I try to install the drivers to my Cable modem [Motorola SB4220 SURFboard] but get an error when the ethernet card is 'Not Detected' then the setup exits. It is a direct connection from the cable in the wall, to the cable modem, then to the computer.

Please help.

EDIT: I go to Device Manager, and under Network Adapters there is only a '1394 Net Adapter' listed.

EDIT2: The drivers for the Ethernet Controller are not installed, are they on the DFI CD?

EDIT3: I installed the Marvell drivers off the DFI CD and everything is going smooth so far, fasle newbie alarm I guess.

EDIT4: The top LAN connector did not work, I switched the LAN cable to the one below it and it completed. I am not online with my new rig. :cool: :nod:

If you installed the marvel LAN driver, and you still only see one LAN device in Windows, that means the other one is not installed. That being the NVidia one. I'm going to assume you haven't installed any platform drivers since windows doesn't see your NVidia NIC.

1. Go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest AMD NForce4 drivers. Here's a link: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

2. Select "Platform/nForce Drivers" then "nForce4 AMD" then choose your operating system.

3. Download the driver that pops up.

4. Install it.

Do you necessarily NEED two? No. But it's nice to have.

I bet if you right-clicked on "My Computer" then clicked "Properties", then the "Hardware" tab, then "Device Manager", you would see a little yellow exclimation point underneath the "Network Adaptors" section. Installing those latest nForce4 chipset drivers has the NVidia LAN driver with it.

Let me know if this isn't the case, or if this helps out any.

Oh, crap. I forgot to install the chipset drivers off the CD. I got the Marvell, Onboard sound, and ATI drivers [off the CD that came with the gfx card].

In the device manager under 'Other Devices' the things that arent installed are 'Other PCI Bridge Device' 'PCI Memory Controller' and 'SM Bus Controller'. There are no yellow exclamation marks anywhere.

EDIT: Going to download/install the chipset drivers you linked.

That's what it was... you didn't isntall the chipset drivers.

Install the chipset drivers and you should see the NVidia NIC.

Personally, setting up the computer in the very beginning is the most crucial part... I feel that if I have a flaw in ANY part of the Windows installation and chipset installation, I'll reformat and re-install Windows. I would advise you do that and start over, ready to install the right things in the right order.

You'll thank yourself in the long run. It's just better to have a fresh clean, no-problem system.

I do chipset, then video only if I have the latest one on cd, otherwise I do network, then windows update, and while that's downloading get anti-virus installed. This is just a little more security, in the unfortunate event that you get a virus or hacked or whatever before you do these things. Then video (if not done already), then whatever else like sound, printer, gamepads, mice, etc

Is there a setting to disable the nvidia network in the bios? If so, then maybe this is also why it wouldn't show up in the device manager.

Ok, it is reformatting. In which order should I install drivers; the nvidia chipset drivers, then the video (graphics card), then the audio, and then the Marvell drivers? Is this correct?

Everyone has thier own way they like to do things. For me, I do it in this order:

-Windows

-Chipset Driver (hopefully you downloaded the latest one from nvidia.com and put it on a CD or USB key or something)

-Anti-Virus (THEN plug in the internet connection, and make sure your firewall from SP2 is turned on)

-Windows Update

-Then whatever else in whatever order

Very similar to Flight Game, but like I said, we all have our own special way of doing things. You should also see everything in the device manager, either with a yellow exclimation mark meaning driver is not installed, or looking fine.

Let me know how it goes!

Ok, thanks alot for the help guys. I felt totally retarded not having installed the chipset drivers. My first build, meh, learning experience. HDD is 75% reformatted. So long... >_>

No worries bud! Like you said, it's your first build, no one would expect perfection. We can only hope! There is a step by step guide somewhere on this website... I just tried to do a quick search for it, but didn't find it. Best advice is this: Learn from your mistakes and hope that the mistakes don't bite you in the butt (or your wallet) too hard! (Like killing a component or something)