Lanparty 875P-T beeping at me!

Hello everybody, my first post here. Been having some problems with my build, and I'm hoping that you all may help me shine some light on this! Thank you in advance for any responses.

First I wanted to say that the system in my sig is what I'm trying to build, I'm currently running on a very old system. I am, however, using the listed video card and it works fine(this info should come in useful later).

Here is what happened:

I purchased a DFI Lanparty 875P-T motherboard, along with 1GB of memory (Corsair Value Select, 2x 512MB modules) and a Pentium 4 3.0GHz processor from newegg.com. Along with parts I already owned, I built it.

After setting everything up and turning the power on, I heard one long beep followed by two short beeps. It obviously did not pass the POST, and there was no video output on my monitor. Before this point, I had reviewed the latest version of the manual for this particular motherboard, which I had found on the DFI website. There unfortunately was no indication in the manual for what one long beep and two short beeps meant.

In order to troubleshoot, I experimented with various combinations of only the absolute essentials. I removed everything from the system and included only the motherboard, the CPU, the memory and the video card. Powering the system up with only these four components would also create the one long beep and two short beeps, so it sounded like I was doing well to isolate the problem.

This same result also happened after removing the video card while leaving the memory inside.

Thinking that the memory may be the issue, I experimented without it. Anytime that I turned it on without memory, it would produce one continuous beep which would not stop until I removed the power. When I re-inserted the memory, it would give the one long beep and two short beeps again.

Just in case, I removed and re-seated each of these components several times. I also tried both memory modules together, separately, and in various slot combinations, and I would experience this result each time.

Does this sound like this is a compatibility issue with the memory, or is it something else? Are you able to determine what one long beep and two short beeps means with this particular motherboard(I would definitely like to know!)? Is this memory compatible with this motherboard? Is there any other information that you can provide, and am I overlooking anything? Or could it be that the memory actually IS compatible with my motherboard, and I instead have a defective motherboard and/or memory modules?

I then ran across the DFI FAQ and found some recommended memory for this board. I was considering RMAing my memory and buying some of that stuff. I wonder if that would solve this problem?

Also, I have heard of people sometimes needing a new BIOS chip? Could that be an issue in my case? I can't tell what version I have since I have never been able to pass the POST and get any output on my monitor. Is there something to look for by examining the chip on the board?

I know that I have a lot of questions, so please bear with me. :)

Thanks again!

If you are trying to boot from a 6xx cpu without updating from 5xx cpu to 6xx cpu bios with a 5xx cpu you will need to get the biosw flashed.angrygames or Bigstan will be able to help you with this.If you have a 5xx cpu or know someone who does you can do it your self.

Thanks for the info, Fordf250.

Unfortunately I don't have a 5xx CPU to test this, nor do I know anybody that has one.

Would having the outdated BIOS create my problem? I guess it would be well worth it to try to get this done.

when i talked with a tech once at DFI they said a long and two shorts ment a memory controller problem. Wether or not it is caused by your 6x0 processor i am not sure of but that is what DFI techs say. Also he said its not the actual memory sticks them selves, but the DDR controller.

Hey malovari,

Just do like i did, i sent mine to frank wong to receive the updated bios chip, it was back to me in a about a week and a half. But of course, i had to contact angrygames and he gave me all the shipping information and i sent it frank wong.

Hmm... thanks for the responses, everybody.

Looks like more troubleshooting ahead, I figure I'll probably have to send the board in. If anybody else has any other ideas or information to contribute, please let me know!