Would you be interested in memory heatsinks?

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I'd buy the heatpipe design!
    • Yes, I'd buy the mini IC heatsinks!
    • No, I wouldn't buy either. Please post your reasoning.

I am taking a survey to see if it would be worth it for me to get a couple hundred memory heatsinks built or not. I am planning on making tinny copper heatsinks, with longer fins and more fins then any other on the market. They will be the exact size of the IC. The problem with this design is that there will need to be about 1.5cm between each ram stick.

The other idea I may utilize is each IC has a copper block and a heatpipe coming off of it. The heatpipes would go about the dimm, and there would be a copper heatsink cooling it all. The heatpipe design will be more expensive, but aimed tward users with minimal spacing between dimms.

If you have any questions or comments, PLEASE post them.

Thanks!

i rip the heat spreaders off memory the instant i get them usually if i am going to clock the high voltage stuff (BH-5)

TCCD i dont bother with ripping off the heatspreaders as they don't need the kind of voltage that BH-5 does

I always liked Buffalo Technologies memory the best because they never put heatspreaders on the majority of their memory, which keeps their memory cooler than just about anyone else's memory that has heatspreaders.

While some believe that heatsinks on the memory chips themselves can help, I personally don't believe in this and have always just put a fan near my memory if it starts to get warm.

I do believe that if your memory is running so hot as to need heatsinks for the individual chips...you probably have too much voltage through them ;)

but it is not a 'stupid' idea nor is it even a 'bad' idea to put sinks on your memory chips. I just don't do it. Others do and they like it and thats cool. Its not harmful or damaging in any way if done correctly.

i rip the heat spreaders off memory the instant i get them usually if i am going to clock the high voltage stuff (BH-5)

TCCD i dont bother with ripping off the heatspreaders as they don't need the kind of voltage that BH-5 does

I always liked Buffalo Technologies memory the best because they never put heatspreaders on the majority of their memory, which keeps their memory cooler than just about anyone else's memory that has heatspreaders.

While some believe that heatsinks on the memory chips themselves can help, I personally don't believe in this and have always just put a fan near my memory if it starts to get warm.

I do believe that if your memory is running so hot as to need heatsinks for the individual chips...you probably have too much voltage through them ;)

but it is not a 'stupid' idea nor is it even a 'bad' idea to put sinks on your memory chips. I just don't do it. Others do and they like it and thats cool. Its not harmful or damaging in any way if done correctly.

Agreed, My corsair VS runs FAR cooler than my Adata Vitesta, at the same voltage and speed.

I think the thermal pad is at fault here.

The only drawback is rip the heatsink off voids your warranty (Pretty important if you are going to use >3V and accidentally fried it)

you speak truth rok...but we are an inventive crazy ubergeek lot and we find ways around this lol

one of the best things we can do is use a cooler like XP-90/XP-120 because the overhang is more than enough to provide proper ambient airflow to the memory.

Another that I like to do with watercooling is hang a 60mm fan off one of the posts of my waterblock bolts right over the PWMIC area and another one off the other waterblock mounting bolt over the memory...or I'll use twisty-ties to hang a fan over the memory....or if i Have a top-of-the-case fan, I'll just reverse it to where it brings air in right over the memory

plenty of inventive things to do...but keep in mind that just adding heatsinks to your memory without any airflow is as pointless as not having heatsinks and not having airflow on your memory ;)

(ie: without some airflow, heatsinks are not going to make a difference other than possibly increase the ambient temps around the hardware they are on)

As for memory heat, many people don't even realize how hot it gets. All my ram, BH-5 and UTT, at 3.6v it gets about 55c with a 80mm fan and at 3.7v or higher it gets much hotter. I run 2x120mm 130cfm each fans on them for benching at 3.7v, but who would want the noise? The problem is we simpily need more cooling surface area. BGA ICs have the same problem and if the other design is a success, I may go on to BGA ram. That includes DDR2 too ;)

Have you ever actually taken a temp reading of the memory ICs? I have the heatspreaders off and they get hot. With AS3 on the heatsinks, they would help cool A LOT. Too much voltage? hehe we are extreme overclockers man ;)

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the design, nor do I have the design completed. I mostly wanted to see if this would be worth the time and money, and it seems it will be. I'm still working with the heatsink manufacturer on the whole design ect. I may end up doing a copper/aluminum design due to weight. arthurleung's picture is close to what I have in mind as of now, but I want it so you can have any amount of modules in any spacing condition, on any board.

I'll do my best to please everyone!

Thank you very much for the comments.