XP64 doesn't boot

When I first installed xp64 on Monday it would boot up without a hitch but now the system freezes after it Posts. I can boot into Safe Mode everyonce in a while but I can't boot into SafeMode w/networking. I had this same problem with another system and never could get it resolved so I'm wondering if it's an issue with XP64 or if it's components (all new components on this system).

Jim

Did you install the NAM/Nvidia Firewall?

If so that is your problem. To fix, do this....

Boot to safe mode, and run msconfig...

Unselect all stuff thats starting up..

Reboot..

Once its in standard mode, Uninstall NAM...

Reboot again, and put whats left back into startup with msconfig..

Never installed NAM/Nvidia Firewall b/c of the issues that I've seen others have...

I tried to start the system in diagnositic mode through "msconfig.exe" and it gets to the Windows loading screen and then resets and says the system wasn't shutdown properly.

Antec Smartpower 2.0

I am clueless on x-64 but have seen others have "issues".

350 watt psu 500 watt psu ?

*(I dont think antec gets many favorable votes here and it needs some serious amps on the 12 V line no matter what brand it is. )

What bios version / date are you on ?

I tried to install XP64 on:

1. a second partition on my main harddisk: text mode went through, reboot, no boot files on the XP64 partition at all, unbootable, only boots in XP32.

2. on the same partition as XP32. Same problem.

3. on a completely different harddisk. Same problem.

I gave up. But I'm playing around with Vista 64 Beta ATM :)

Vista is a VERY bad boy if you run it on a seperate partition (none raid) and you have a RAID array in the computer also... (say bye bye to Boot partiton on your array)..

Seeing you dont run RAID you are all set... otherwise if anyone wants to try Vista, use VMWare and the 32bit on instead.. or wait till at LEAST RC1 (or better yet 2)

I am clueless on x-64 but have seen others have "issues".

350 watt psu 500 watt psu ?

*(I dont think antec gets many favorable votes here and it needs some serious amps on the 12 V line no matter what brand it is. )

What bios version / date are you on ?

The Antec SmartPower 2.0 is a 500W PSU and the output is as follows:

Max: 5V@35A, 12V@12A, 12V@19A, 3.3V@32A, [email protected], 5V@2A

This should be suffecient to run this board and the components I have, right?

BTW, I've got it booting correctly after retrying the Genie BIOS entries posted in one of the stickies...

One thing that concerns me is that the NF4 chipset is running at 55C at idle with the case open and the PWMIC is at 52C idle....Will this cause any problems?

As for bios...I haven't updated it yet b/c initially the system booted and ran Windows fine...According to CPU-Z it's 6.00PG date 01/25/2005.

When I get the time I'll try flashing it to a more recent one.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

One thing that concerns me is that the NF4 chipset is running at 55C at idle with the case open and the PWMIC is at 52C idle....Will this cause any problems?

Not great but not bad to the point of immediate danger.

What are room temps ? cool ? hot ?

> 60 on those two and they are out of my comfort zone.

$DIT : duh, you have the case open, are you seeing temps in bios or Mbm5 or ITE smartguardian ? *(Set the fans in whichever you choose to kick on full at 25 if you dont mind a bit of niose.)

You need to flash your bios to get full CPU support.

Most likely the latest official one (6/23)and then to other (beta) bios's if you are encountering problems with the corsair.

The power Supply thread :

*(I think yours is is listed as reccomended but it shows 17 and 19 amps in the guide. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

lol...the power out is 17 and 19 A (typo on my part)

As for the temps...The temps are from MBM5 using the data files posted by someone on this boards and room temp is 27C.

The Chipset fan is running at full speed for the most part and is rather loud already. I'm planning on getting an additional fan for my case to blow directly onto the NF4 (is was at 57C while playing CS) and graphics b/c those two are my hot spots. Hopefully with an additional fan I'll be able to close the case up.

Guess I'll be flashing 6/23 bios release then.

Thanks

Jim

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...7&postcount=503

PWMIC sensor *(where temp is read for it.)

Also if you really really really want the temps of the NF4 chipset down........

*(and putting an 80 mm fan ducting fresh air to the chipset dosent help)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6577

+ other threads in modifications.

Glad its not a 300 watter PSU *(arrr ~!) and good luck with it.