RAM 'stuck' at 166MHz.. won't go up to 200MHz on LPB

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, installed Windows on a clean machine. USB ports stopped freezing, but I still get random freezes once in awhile where explorer will stop responding, and then task manager stops responding too, and then Windows basically takes a . and stops responding (even though I can move the mouse around) and I have to do a forced reset.

Looking at my MBM numbers, my 12V rail looks suspiciously low. I guess I should double check my 12V hookup (it is connected) maybe my PSU is a dud? It is new (got it new with the LBP) so perhaps I may need to RMA it.

Could that low 12V be the source of all my issues?

EDIT: oops, forgot to attach the pic:

If you want to get an accurate reading on the 12v rail you should use a DMM/DVM,I've had software readings that looked low,but when measured w/DMM were right on.

Did you check that rail under load or is that idle?

If you want to get an accurate reading on the 12v rail you should use a DMM/DVM,I've had software readings that looked low,but when measured w/DMM were right on.

Did you check that rail under load or is that idle?

What's a DMM/DVM?

That rail is under idle... even if the reading is off, that's rather low, isn't it? The BIOS reports similar voltage readings as well (11.86-11.94 ish).

Upon some more testing, I'm definitely not running stable.. it seems stable, but stuff is going wacky. Explorer stopping responding, unable to shut down correctly... I imaged my hard drive right after OS installation so I can rollback if I need to, but even though my system seems stable (and prime95 doesn't report errors) after a few hours it begins to get sort of wacky.

So you've got your Ram running at 1:1 and AGP Locked to 66mhz? If your only running at 200mhz it should be ok, but i'd just lock it at 66mhz anyway just to be on the safe side...

If you haven't flashed to it yet then i'd try the 6/19/2004 Bios to see if that helps.

Also, what Chipset Drivers are you using? I'd suggest the 5.10's.

http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?products_id=3824

Is a good cheap Multimeter, its small but does a pretty good job. I picked one up recently and its telling me exactly what the softwares been reporting, so all seems to be accurate on my setup, I dont know how much they will want to ship it but these guys are a good local company and when I dont want to buy something online and wait a few days for it, this is where I head over to. Just a suggestion thats all, I know Sears Craftsman's brand of products are good, most people in the States have a Sears somewhere nearby if they are in the urban areas, a good hardware store or a super center like Home Depot or Lowes would also have something, if your overseas I cant suggest where to tell you to go but a Multimeter is a good investment and worth hunting one down

Well, I'm going to reinstall Windows a second time, this time on a non-OCed machine.

I was getting all sorts of bizarre problems with my machine - the mouse stopping responding, the keyboard randomly stopping responding, and then my ethernet just going out and stop working too. Clearly, I need to take a step back and start all over again. I think the best way for me to do this is to simply go back to 166FSB and do 1:1 for a bit and make sure my system is actually stable at that speed. If not, I have more serious problems to deal with.

I have RMA-ed my PSU - I plugged in my old Enermax 350w, and the 12V was showing 12.05V, a welcome change from the 11.9X I usually see. I don't know, that could have been a contributing factor to my system's instability.

For now, I will just use my system for the next week or so normally at 166FSB 1:1, and see if all is well (I see no reason why it wouldn't). I will post back, most likely in a new thread, when I begin to overclock again. Thanks everyone for your help and input!

The Nvidia IDE Drivers do cause issues for some ppl yeah so you could try uninstalling them and using the standard Windows IDE Drivers.

I honestly think you should change that Bios to the 6/19/2004, that could be the fix for you. That Bios was optimised for Mobiles...

Do you know how to flash your Bios properly?

I was also wondering.. I have no plans to OC past 200FSB. I just want my CPU/RAM at 200FSB, then push my CPU to maybe 200x11 or 11.5 if possible.

If this is the case, do I ever even need to change my RAM voltages? (it's currently at auto, which is 2.65V) Also MBM reports my chipset as 38C.. is that somewhat high? I have placed an order for the NB-1 too, just in case that is the issue.