XP install hangsat Intel IDE Bus Driver

Guest mark_merged

i'm attempting to install windows xp and when setup gets to "setup is loading files (intel IDE bus driver)", the install hangs. i have 2 160gb western digital ata/100 drives and my processor is an AMD Athlon 2800+ Newcastle. i have sata disabled in the bios and am not looking to configure these as raid. i see similar problems here, but they involve a raid configuration.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

#2 you should not be loading Intel drivers for AMD chipset (NF4/VIA) motherboards

Hello,

Doesn't it load all that by default?

As soon as you boot from the XP setup CD it starts copying files for the setup, it displays a list of files it is copying where you see the F2/press F6 bit.

I think that is what mark meant?

:)

yes, xp install is attempting to load it. i didn't understand why, since i have an amd processor.

i'll gather all the info (bios version, etc) and repost later

ok, i added most of the info to my signature. stupid question here: how do i find out my bios version? i don't see it when i boot up. is there anything else i should include?

thanks!!

Hello,

http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php#download

Run CPUZ and go to the motherboard TAB.

Look for the BIOS date.

thanks, but i have no os on my machine. this is a new build.

ok, another stupid question...my understanding is xp will format my drives for me, is this correct?

Guest Shibby

To see BIOS version: go into BIOS/advanced options, and disable the Full Screen Logo option. Savea and restart, you will see the BIOS date in the lower left side of the screen

formatting drives: XP will format your drives if you tell it to during the install process. I think that there are 4 options for formatting, quick formatting, not formatting, and something else which I can't think of. It comes right after the part where it asks about setting up partitions.

One question for you: Have you run memtest to see if your memory is okay? If not, run it for a couple hours or preferably overnight and see if any errors come up. Many windows install problems come from faulty memory (or memory not set up correctly).

i'll disable the full screen logo tonight.

where can i find memtest? i did a search and the only one i found was a windows version.

as for setting up the memory in bios, i left everything in the dram configuration section set to auto. is there anything i should specifically change?

since i have two ram sticks, how about trying the install with only one of them installed?

Guest Shibby

Memtest: http://www.memtest86.com/

You have to install it from windows to make a bootable floppy. Then you boot from your floppy and memtest will start up. Just let it run on default settings, it will run through 8 tests indefinitely until you stop it. Like I said earlier, overnight (8-9 hours or more) is a good amount of time for a thorough test.

(found the paper i wrote this on, so...)

i also tried installing win2k last night. it got past the intel ide bus driver (where xp is hanging) and asked if i wanted to install/repair/whatever. i choose new installation and i then got the following stop error:

0x0000004E (0x0000008F, 0x00008580, 0x00008500, 0x00000000) PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

my only option was to reboot, couldn't get past this.

i'll post my bios version when i get home.

thanks!!

mark