Fans, fans, and more fans! - Upgrading and adding case fans!

Hymn

Ok, my computer is just hot, and i dont like it. Its not hot hot hot, but things are running in high 30's ect, i just want to get my computer coolest it can possibly get. I am NOT running water cooling nor do i plan to. I decided to upgrade and replace the stock fans i got with my Cooler Master Centurion 5 case so they take in and bring out more air faster ect, but still quiet.

My cooler master centurion 5 case comes with areas specifically for 2 fans. An exaust fan of 120mm and an intake fan of 80 mm. Both are obviously coolermaster brand as they are STOCK and my case is a cooler master.

Tonight, well, this morning, i have been doing some searching quickly on fans to upgrade ect. I dont think its gonna require more than 10$ for a good replacement fan. As i said before, i want my computer to be able to bring in more and take out more air at a faster rate, and still decently quiet.

I need your oppinions, and please keep in mind, my range of shopping is newegg only.

Tonight, i have discovered (heard) that Aspire has some good fans and cooling, so i found the reasonable:

ASPIRE CF12S 120mm Cooling Fan - Retail

good, not good? quiet, loud?

please respond to those questions, as now i have been searching for an 80 mm replacement fan.

i have been trying to decipher which fan is the better, so here are the 2 fans.

ASPIRE CF4S 80mm Sleeve Cooling Fan - Retail

and the

MASSCOOL FDC08025S1M 80mm Sleeve Cooling Fan - Retail

Regarding case fans, if you know of one better on newegg, or something like so, please tell me and i will decide.

PS. i am trying to stick away from solid black fans. everything in my case is going to be a light color, and no neon fans or lights or what ever, i dont have a sidepanel window so it would only cause heat. as you see my fan choices so far, they are clear. if you find others that are better, ide prefer clear or white. somewhere light. (hah that rhymed)

I plan on getting these soon from newegg, because ill be without my computer for a few days, as i am RMAing my ram. (i believe it had a bad heat sensor which was causing it to screw up, for those of you who read my previous thread).

FX-WANNA-B replied to me in one of my previous threads, quoting:

I use Super Talent: EWIZ

Pics in sig. Very clean, cheap, and best of all it works very well! Load temps @ 3.2V is 40 degrees C via temp probe placed under the ram heatspreader. Works well with the through air design of the CM Centurion 5 (especially when you place three 65 cfm 80mm fans behind the front panel .)

To "highlight" one of the things im focusing on in his words are "Works well with the through air design of the CM Centurion 5 (especially when you place three 65 cfm 80mm fans behind the front panel .)"

I know what the through air design is, but i dont get what he means by placing 3 80mm fans behind the front panel.

Newegg does not sell any 80mm fans that are 65 cfm, if they had them they would be pretty loud though.

-----

PEOPLE WHO OWN OR HAVE OWNED A COOLERMASTER CENTURION 5 CASE ARE STRICTLY INVITED TO POST IN THIS THREAD.

-thank you :)

Tom

Looks for fans that move a lot of air (CFM) and have a low dB output. Of course fans with very low dB will not move as much air.

The 120mm fan that you looked up is rather loud at 35dB.

Here's a Coolermaster 120mm fan that runs at only 13dB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811999072

Consider a fan speed controller. I am looking into one for my own computer.

compare.

Coolermaster fan you just suggested: Air Flow 11.27cfm

Aspire 120mm fan i found: Air Flow 77.26 cfm

umm, its a big difference, but to my extent, ill let that dba pass my limits.

My room always has some noise in it because a dehumidifier is right next to it. (next to my room).

in addition my videocard fan is the loudest thing in my case, as long as we arent going over 40 or so dBa, somewhere around that (my dBa limit, is limitless prettymuch) then im ok.

my question, would you still suggest the fan i have found due to its cfm, regardless of its noise?

Tom

edit: isnt the higher the Cfm, the more air moved? (which is good)

i have a centurion 5 cooled with DangerDen water

what FX means, is that the front panel of the Cent5 case is meshed and filtered. The whole front panel is like a big screen door. Same with the CM stacker...the Stacker can utilize up to 3 120mm fans in the front.

the Cent5 can do an 80mm fan down at the bottom...and then depending on how many drive bays you use, you can put 80mm/92mm fans bringing air in up there...

here's my stacker...its just a big version of the Cent5 case in a way

stacker-uv1.jpg

see the 120mm in the rear and my NF4 board sitting under it?

now see it from a front-inside sort of view

stacker-uv2.jpg

see the cables up there and the black radiator for the water gear? That is a 2x120mm radiator. But the front of my Stacker, again, is the same as the front of the Cent5 case with a bit of difference...the cent5 case has 3.5" bays then 5.25" bays.

the Stacker has slide-rail 5.25" bays all the way from top to bottom. They are actually larger than 5.25"...but when you attach the drive cages and with rubber grommet feet to slide in (and absorb vibration)...well the drive cage is for 5.25" drives and 3.5" hdd's.

anyway....if you have a Cent...then you know what i already said...the entire front panel of the case is like a big screen door...except it doesn't open lol.

fit fans in that area so it draws IN filtered air...and will exhaust out the back from the 120mm ;)

thanks for the post angry. i understand it better now, as while reading yours i followed along with my case infront of me.

the only thing im wondering now, is how do you stack the fans or keep them secure. not securing them somehow will allow them to fall around, which isnt too good of an idea.

also if people could continue to "rate my fans"... better / worse? it would be appreciated.

if you know a better fan reccomend it to me.

quoting my first post:

I decided to upgrade and replace the stock fans i got with my Cooler Master Centurion 5 case so they take in and bring out more air faster ect, but still quiet.

thanks in advanced, and ill be looking for some fans.. not sure 92mm or 80mm, as angry said... ill try 80mm first since FX said his is like that.

Tom

this afternoon ive been doing more fan searching on newegg.

ive been wondering should i replace my panaflo for something more powerful? im not too too sure.

also my harddrive temperature is around 33*C... i felt it could cool off more with a fan near it, so i am compariing the following harddrive fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompa...&SubCategory=62

im not sure which of those is best, so if someone can lead me onto the better one ide appreciate it.

so a recap:

should i replace my panaflo with something more powerful?

which harddrive cooler is better? are they any real use?

so far no one has led me onto a better fan, im still deciding whether the "ASPIRE CF4S 80mm Sleeve Cooling Fan - Retail or the MASSCOOL FDC08025S1M 80mm Sleeve Cooling Fan - Retail"

someones got to please help me out on that.

and as far as i know, im going to add the "ASPIRE CF12S 120mm Cooling Fan - Retail" to my newegg cart.

if anyone has anything else to say on that fan, or you know a better...well... go right ahead and say it ;)

thanks so far,

Tom

EDIT: i was on newegg a few minutes ago, and found the VANTEC TD9238H 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail

i am wondering if i should get that to replace my panasonic panaflo, which specifications are listed here: Panasonic Panaflo FBA09A12M1A 92mm Hydro Wave Case Cooling Fan - Retail

AMD643700SD2750MHzXP-90C.jpg

Picture01123.jpg

Awesome paint shop skillz huh :nod:

What I did first was flip the 120mm rear fan (CM 120) around to make it a intake fan, being as though my Fortron was right above and its 120mm fan is fine for exhaust. This way the cpu gets a nice exposure to cool air. Next I moved my CD/DVD rom drive right in the center of the bays so that I could place additional 80mm fans behind the filter face, one below the DVD drive and one right above. I chose Sunon 80mm Tornado high speed fans which are rated at 84cfm, which I regulate through my fan controller. The fan above the drive can be made into a exhaust fan if you wish.

The Cent 5 comes with 1 80mm CM fan which is set at the bottom behind the filter face to cool the HD bays. This one was replaced with a Sunon as well. Since I used a slim line HD cooler which works great I placed the HD in the very bottom slot so the fan's flow would not be obstructed at all, allowing the fan to cool the chipset. Well there you have it a makeshift CM stacker with less weight :) .

how do the 80mm fans in the front get secured in?

do they just sit there? or did you strap them in somehow or do they happen to fit snug?

whats the story... btw thanks FX-WANNA-B, i might order some of those things soon. :)

--- MERGED POSTS!

just a few minutes ago, i moved my cd drive to the middle bay, so their are 2 ontop and 2 on bottom, just like FX's. it scemes like an 80mm might be able to fit under the drive snug, but ontop of the drive their is more room.

hows that work?

EDIT:

i was on newegg,and found the exact same fans as the sunon, except it was vantec. i know now why you got that floppy bay fan controller so they dont make too much of noise, but now im afrade to get these and maybe get a lower DB good fan. i dont have too much more room for bay things (like a fan controller).

i already have a black floppy drive where the floppy disk drive goes, and i have a CD burnere / rom in the middle bay.

no more room to put a fan controller or else ide have to go -1 fan.

can someone PLEASE read this topic of mine and reccomend a good fan or see if the ones i have are good? people sceme to neglect this thread of mine :(

Tom

just a few minutes ago, i moved my cd drive to the middle bay, so their are 2 ontop and 2 on bottom, just like FX's. it scemes like an 80mm might be able to fit under the drive snug, but ontop of the drive their is more room.

hows that work?

EDIT:

i was on newegg,and found the exact same fans as the sunon, except it was vantec. i know now why you got that floppy bay fan controller so they dont make too much of noise, but now im afrade to get these and maybe get a lower DB good fan. i dont have too much more room for bay things (like a fan controller).

i already have a black floppy drive where the floppy disk drive goes, and i have a CD burnere / rom in the middle bay.

no more room to put a fan controller or else ide have to go -1 fan.

can someone PLEASE read this topic of mine and reccomend a good fan or see if the ones i have are good? people sceme to neglect this thread of mine :(

Tom

ok, i think i am going to bite the bullet and do this.

Buy myself the: ASPIRE CF12S 120mm Cooling Fan - Retail (and do as FX has done, which is to flip it and make it the intake fan)

get the: VANTEC HDC-502A 120mm Sleeve Cooling Fan - Retail (to cool off my harddrive, and place my harddrive as it is already in the bottom most harddrive slot)

purchase: VANTEC TD8038H 80mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail (quantity of 2) (replace the stock 80mm case fan and add the other one underneath the middle most 5.25 bay)

cool my cpu more by replacing the panaflo with the: VANTEC TD9238H 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail

controling them all using the: VANTEC NXP-201-BK Fan Controller Panel - Retail

-sound and noise will no longer be a problem for me.

please tell me if something isnt going to be able to run at its best. as i see the vantec fan controller i have found says: "Each Channel Will Support 15 to 18 Watts"

if something is going to be underwatted or something, please tell me. this is my first time using a fan controller.

please comment back as i love to hear what you have to say,

Tom

Guest Blooz1

I'd recommend Panaflo fans to you for both quality and performance. Unfortunately they only come in "your basic black", but they are some of the most reliable fans you can get!

how do the 80mm fans in the front get secured in?

do they just sit there? or did you strap them in somehow or do they happen to fit snug?

whats the story... btw thanks FX-WANNA-B, i might order some of those things soon. :)

--- MERGED POSTS!

hows that work?

Tom

For mounting the fans I used the fans as a diagram and drilled holes in the metal bay covers, then used screws to mount them (just like the very bottom factory fan). I also used rubber fan isolators to eliminate any vibration. The 80mm fans fit perfectly both above and below the drive. I would recommend using a filter for the rear 120mm fan since it is now an intake. Newegg sells them pretty cheap!

btw the selections you have made for parts looks great