NF4 Ultra D> Standby and Hibernation

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hibernate works for myself.

All i did to get it working was to disable the nic cards from waking up the pc.

Also after Hibernation the monitoring software works fine.

Suspend doesnt but as long as one of the 2 works i dont mind.

Also after Hibernation the monitoring software works fine.

Hybernation works for me to (as I said in the first post, my second post was a bit misleading and is now edited not to include hybernate). But, hybernate is also ~5-10 times slower than standby (as it it only a glorified version of shutdown and depends on the memory speed and size, boot times, ...).

Also, suspend function is *supported* by the board but I am yet to see anyone that claims that it is working correctly. Suspend doesn't work as it messes all of the hardware readings.

Suspend doesnt but as long as one of the 2 works i dont mind.

I guess this is where I am different from the most of the people. The amount of time and effort it takes for a college student without a steady income (me :)) to earn enogh money for a new PC is amazing, so I do mind when something is not working as it should (and I payed for it)! Even more important, "This is an overclocking board" should not be used as a excuse for bugs nf4 boards have!

So I don't agree with the recomended solutions (stop using standby is not really a solution in my view).

Some real solutions for the standby problem are:

1) fix it so it works properly (preferable)

2) Don't advertise it as supported and working properly, and remove it from the manual...

#1 some of you guys still don't read the rules and make a signature with proper system specs

if you don't, or refuse to do so, you will not get any help from anyone in the forum.

it is that simple. We've educated users here over the last 18 months to provide us with proper information so that we may help you and even force new registered users to make a signature and yet somehow some of you still skirt this and demand that we help you.

we will not.

it is that simple.

you can read and follow the rules or you can seek help elsewhere (and when you email official tech support, the very first thing we will ask you is your complete system specs so you won't be able to skirt this by going that route either.

#2 as far as I know, Oskar never designed this board to go into hibernation or into standby. This is a PURE overclocking board.

it was designed from the VERY FIRST IDEA to be nothing but an overclocker. It was designed purely to be a rock solid overclocking board. Since that is what the design was for, some things had to be sacrificed.

This is true of ANY product that is designed for a specific use.

why do sports cars not ride as soft and quiet as a luxury car? because sports cars have to have certain tires and suspensions that allow it to handle like a sports car...and luxury cars do not have these tires nor suspensions.

why do sports cars usually get worse gas mileage?

because they are designed to go fast fast fast and get there as quickly as possible, so they have bigger engines that eat more fuel.

why do SUV's get worse gas mileage?

because they were designed to carry lots of stuff. They were not designed as fuel-efficient economy deathtraps, they were designed to be big workhorses that could go somewhat offroad but also carry all of your camping and hunting equipment.

you get the idea

there's still this strange idea from users that they bought a super overclocking board that was designed to do nothing but overclock until their private parts glowed in the dark yet they think that the board should be able to do all the things that vanilla, plain, non-overclocking, boring, standard boards should do.

this is so alien to most of us that we still have trouble understanding why people think that their super mega giant overclocking monster board should have all the same options and capabilities that a boring, vanilla, weak overclocker board does.

why does the Lanparty board have 25+ DRAM settings yet all the boring, normal boards have only 5-10?

why does the Lanparty board have crazy voltage options to overclock until your mom's house burns down 3 states away yet boring vanilla boards only have normal, low-end voltage options?

because the Lanparty boards were designed from the first initial idea stage all the way through final production to overclock until your underwear started smoking.

And like anything that is designed for a specific purpose, you have to sacrifice some 'useless' options to gain the 'awesome options'.

useless doesn't mean useless to everyone, it means useless to the functions of the board. And hibernation and suspend are either useless or interfere with the super mega overclocking options that the Lanparty boards are designed to do.

now

don't go taking this as I'm calling you (anyone reading this) stupid or anything like that.

what I am doing is trying to explain, for the hundredth time, that certain functions just don't work when overclocking, and certain functions just don't work because of the design nature of the board.

you can argue all you want about whatever, but the simple, honest truth, is that some functions are crippled or downright disabled because they either interfere with the major function of the board (overclocking ability) or cause some serious side effects that might be harmful to your equipment.

some solutions (and they are pretty simple solutions honestly) are

A. turn off the computer when not using it

B. don't use hibernation (see #A)

C. don't use standby (see #A)

D. instead of hibernation or standby, just have Windows shut the monitor off after a certain amount of time and let the computer idle (this is what I do myself)

Answers like this are pathetic, you know that. I don't even know what to say to that except it just makes you look stupid and your pulling crap out of your butt for excuses why certain features can't work. There's NO dam reason in the world that this mobo can't do both overclock/S3 other mobo's can why can't DFI's. Hence me not owning a DFI mobo much longer. Great tech support by the way......HELL if it don't work then don't use it <-----just brillant my freind!!!

I think you missed AG's overall point. The board was not designed to support those features. The board was designed to be an overclockers board and therefore has a huge OCing feature set. That being said, room had to be made for all that OCing capability so sacrifices had to be made in other areas.

In the case of this board, if you come out of standby or hibernation your system may have a screwy response, especially if your OCing. Maybe they can fix it or maybe they can't. It is not their priority to do so, since this board is not designed for that purpose.

Laptop motherboards and software are designed to support that kind of stuff, but not DFI LanParty boards.

Maybe this board isn't for you. The board is designed for hobbyists like myself who like to tweak, play, and fix what aint broke. Maybe you don't fall into this category. If that is the case, this board is not for you.

Well suspend worked for me except for a few programs like my UPS Monitoring Software that crashed when it couldn't communicate with the UPS, but things like that are to be expected.

All of my voltages, temps, and everything else seem to be ok.

Dunno about hibernate. Maybe I'll test it tomorrow.

Edit: And my fans don't turn off, but I guess that is because they are all connected to a fan controller and suspend doesn't do a complete power down of the system.

Just tested Hibernation. It works perfectly and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

In case some people don't know how hibernation works, it saves the current contents of memory (For me 2GB) to the hard drive.

Then the computer completely turns off.

When you turn it back on, the computer boots up at normal except this time windows restores the saved contents of memory.

When you log back in, your desktop, programs, everything will be exactly how you left it.

As with the suspend, my voltages, temps, and overclock are as normal as they ever were.

Just tested Hibernation. It works perfectly and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

In case some people don't know how hibernation works, it saves the current contents of memory (For me 2GB) to the hard drive.

Then the computer completely turns off.

When you turn it back on, the computer boots up at normal except this time windows restores the saved contents of memory.

When you log back in, your desktop, programs, everything will be exactly how you left it.

As with the suspend, my voltages, temps, and overclock are as normal as they ever were.

Wow, looks like your the only one. Did you get paid to say this? Are you using S3 standby?

I've used pretty much every bios they have and still didn't work......but ya its a bios issue alright they just need to fix it for everyone well except KaollaSu's his is just fine,lol.

Wow, looks like your the only one. Did you get paid to say this? Are you using S3 standby?

You either believe me or you don't. It doesn't really matter to me.

I was trying to help you guys by spending my time testing Standby and Hibernate.

It turns out, it all worked for me and I couldn't recreate the issues some people are reporting.

Maybe next time you post a problem, I will not take the time to actually run some tests.