my new infinity might be DOA maybe?

EDIT NOT DOA !!!!! BUT still having some issues

Got the infinity today, swapped everything over, made sure to clear cmos and then place in the normal posistion, made sure the 100 fsb jumper was in place so it is in the other cpu position, inspected the board very carefully, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, remembered to connect the additional 4 pin 12v connection, put one stick of my ram in the black slot, made sure it was seated, seated the cpu and HSF, read over the manual, not much of a manual if you ask me, pretty confident I had everything hooked up correctly, went to fire it up, nothing......... :(

theres a red led lit on the bottom of the board and another red one near the ram slot, once I kill power to the board the red at the bottom stays lit, the ram one goes off, try the clear cmos again, return to normal, nothing, have tried unplugging and replugging in the PSU from the wall, Im just trying the board, cpu, one stick of mem and the video card, nothing, I cant strip it down any more :( GRRRR damn I hope after all this waiting its not DOA, noticed this Ultra Infinity is marked REV A, like the LanParty Nf2 board, is there a REV B or even later on the Infinity???? So far Im pulling my hair out, I am back on the old Chaintech board, reinstalled everything to verify I didnt fry something in the swap process, nothing got jacked up, so I have to assume maybe the board is a DOA, thats really gonna suck, a long time ago though I remember something I thought about mobiles and these boards sometimes dont play nice, but I know many of you run mobiles and these Infinitys just fine, so given what I have tried, any suggestions? sadly I can only run one machine as I dont have enough to have 2 machines running so Ill have to tear this chaintech apart and try again, I have the CMOS in the clear position on the infinity and I swapped the CMOS battery from the DFI to the Chaintech and the UI battery wasnt dead, its keeping the Chaintech CMOS info upon a shut down and cold reboot after about 5 mins, Im drawing at straws at this point, please any suggestions will help, also doing a google and browsing through the forums postings looking for clues etc...

Jeremy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but you did clear the Cmos before sticking your stuff in didn't you? You see, if you didn't and the guy left his OC settings in there and you stick your stuff in then bam, corrupt bios...

yes sir, i always try and clear the cmos before i fire up a new board, that was the first thing I did, see up there when I typed out exactly what I did to try and first fire this thing up, unless he either knew the board was toast or it got messed up in transit

oops, typing too fast frustrated, fixed it, i had said clear cmos in normal first, no i always make sure to clear first and double check its not on clear when trying to power up, i have learned that mistake a long time ago

Oh sorry i missed that, try adding paragraphs in your post Jeremy cuz it makes it easier to read :D

Hmmm, its still sounding like a corrupt Bios to me... Maybe he corrupted it?

Are you confident about trying a HotFlash in your Chaintech? I'm assuming its an nForce2?

Have you tried the old hold in the Reset Button, switch on your PSU then hit the Power Switch. Hold the reset button for a few seconds then let go?

Also try booting with an old stick of PC2100 if you have one...

grrr no old 2100 gave all that away awhile back, i have hotflashed before, i hate doing it but I might have to, worth a shot, if I hose the chaintech somehow Im totally FUBAR, I dont want that, maybe I can drive out to Pops place again, Im sure he wouldn't mind, hes got 2 of these boards, maybe I can try this Bios chip in one of his, see if it doesnt do squat or not, and then hotflash off his if he didnt mind, I did it with my friends Abit NF7, I guess theres no reason why I couldn't do it again I guess. As long as they are Nf2 it works right? Its been a long time since I have had to do it.

Umm holding the reset button :) Since Im running this caseless and this is not the LanParty board :( maybe wishing I had tried to get a LanParty for that on board button oh well, anyhow using a jumper to turn this on and off, gonna be hard to try and manipulate a jumper and flip the psu on and off, maybe i can get my friend to help me with that, yea shinobi, at this point its worth a shot

also the "hold down insert key" trick works fer some folks as well.

Wouldn't try that Charlie. That loads the last good Bios Settings automatically saved in Cmos Reloaded, which would be the settings for the other guy...

What you say about the LED near the Dimms switching off when you Power Down is correct, and the other LED should stay lit till you kill all power to the PSU...

Are you sure its not the video card? Have you tried checking for and Floppy Drive etc activity?

Wouldn't try that Charlie. That loads the last good Bios Settings automatically saved in Cmos Reloaded, which would be the settings for the other guy...

What you say about the LED near the Dimms switching off when you Power Down is correct, and the other LED should stay lit till you kill all power to the PSU...

Are you sure its not the video card? Have you tried checking for and Floppy Drive etc activity?

forgot about that little deatail :(.

the video card which at the moment is the only one I have to try is currently working, or I wouldnt be typing to you right now, given my friends Abit Bios got hosed and we had to hotflash I'll give it a whirl, I didnt want to do that unless I absolutely had to, now if memory served me right, I could have sworn reading somewhere about mobiles not being detected correctly or something, you never had issues with your board posting up the mobile?