my new infinity might be DOA maybe?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i left the battery out last night, id say what 9 to 10 hours while i slept for a bit and was at work before i came home and tried again this morning, now im gonna try it again within the next hour, and yes 1 stick, tried each one independently and with each slot, no joy, ill try and get some other parts to just try and see if i replicate the same results, 2 red leds are good right, what exactly is thier purpose and how can they help me if any

Dunno. I'm wondering whether the LED near the Dimms would light up if it was a corrupt bios but i really haven't a clue on that one...

Did you try the Insert Key Trick? You have nothing to loose, so give it a go...

Did you remember to plug your monitor in? :shake:

yes sir, the monitor is on, and will say check cable, not connected until I actually connect it to the 15 pin Dsub, then it will go black, with the amber light on the front just like its supposed to, on any other system I have had this LCD on it exhibits the same pattern, once the system is initiated and posting the amber light should turn green, and then I get a signal, usually showing the 5900 nivida bios info splash, then followed by the boards inital screen, well all I get with the infinity is just the amber light and it acts if its not posting at all, which in my experience is typically a bios corrupted issue or so from what I have had hands on with, I did try holding the insert key, again same symptom, Im gonna try and get ahold of a speaker tommrow to see if anything does beep out of the board, that might help if it is beeping some error code and I just dont know it at this point

hi jeremy....

it's really unbelievable...your story is identical to mine...

i bought a dfi infinity nf2 a couple months ago,used,from a guy who swithched to 64.

the card was in really perfect order...i was excited to try the new board,than i swapped all my old stuff to this shiny nf2 from my old an7...

after everithings in place, no boot, checking everiting, clear cmos,and other but nothing to do. i contacted the guy wo sold me the board,and he assured me tha it was perfect,but he accepted to give money back.

but i was feeling very sorry...

i decided to do the last try...i trow on the board two crappy oem ram stick...helixir maybe,i don't remember, then connected the board to a 10 euro psu and...

IT WORKED!!!!! normally...after that,even whit my other components.

now ,i don't know what it does mean,and why it happend,but this is my experience...

I'm pretty convinced that both yours and Surrepts problems could have been fixed with an old stick of PC2100. But you both say you don't have one to try...

If i was you i'd just buy one! You could pick up a 256mb stick off Ebay for around $10 i bet. It don't have to be anything fancy... May come in handy for future use too :)

OK gents, it posted!!!! After what about a 12 hour cmos clear and having the battery out of the board, I decided to give it a whirl, so I popped the battery back in, set the jumper to normal, fired it up and presto!!!

It started to post, immediately went into the bios, looked at everything thourghally, grrrr much more settings to have to play with and memorize than with my chaintech, ok, so I went to load optimize defaults, then say yes and exit etc..... well when it tried to load my currently installed OS it bombs to a blue screen, so Im like grrrr, I have this old 10 gig ATA 33 HDD, I figured well I need to probably start with a clean install, and i have stuff on the raptor I probably should save to DVDR first before I wipe it clean, so I went ahead and started to install XP on the old 10 gig, well lets just say its obvious when you go from the raptor to the old school speed wise :) took forever and a day, ok so I get XP installed, I try and install these drivers from the Infinity CD, well the sound works, its sound storm too, I didnt even know I had thought ABIT was the only one to use it, cool

Well, NO LAN, it installed the ethernet stuff, XP picks up on the hardware and id's is an NV lan adapter, but no NET, I couldn't get XP to hop on to the net, which meant I couldnt update Windows XP from there, I didnt have the Nvidia Video card drivers etc..... and well since I need to get stuff off the raptor and save to to some DVDR first and such, I figured I would probably download the latest and greatest NVidia drivers and add them to my DVDR so I can finally put this chaintech to rest, which yet again Im on to type this to you.

But the fact I had the Infinity posted means I am that much further ahead, means my hotflash attempt last night worked, and so after waiting for the mailman for so long if I just had not been so tempted to just jump right on it and had paid attention and took my time, I probably would be up and running OCed by now on that board :) I do appreciate all the help thus far, Im seriously considering your suggestion on a cheapo 2100 stick of memory, so Ill keep an eye out for one of those, anything else you can suggest etc... I would appreciate.

Now Im hoping the most current NVidia drivers will get the LAN to work, any help there greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now

Jeremy

btw, what bios settings do i use to make the nv lan work, theres something in there called MAC address, should that be enable or disable, and if so whats the address to key in? whats what I didnt know what to do with and wondering if thats whats holding the lan back from hitting the net?