problem with dfi nf4 sli d - help

I just purchased a brand new dfi lanparty nf4 sli - d motherboard and an AMD 64 3500+ (Venice Core) CPU to start building a new PC!

Something has gone seriously wrong with the install!

I started putting the system together yesterday and it was working briefly for an hour where I managed to install windows xp professional on it.

The motherboard has seemed to stop working, it definitely has power to it and it does boot up/ fans speed up and bios makes the regular noise but nothing is displayed on screen almost like the gfx card isn't working, but the gfx is also brand new it's a xfx nvidia 6600gt 256mb.

I installed my RAM (Corsair XMS 3200C2PRO) into slots DIMM 2 & 4 like the manual suggested, but this isn't working originally so I just installed one chip assuming it may be bad RAM, it booted up with just 1 x 512MB chip (DIMM slot 2) installed which enabled me to install windows xp pro but when I shut it down and installed the other RAM chip (512mb) the system won't work I can't get anything on screen.

The bios made beeping noises (one long beep followed by a very short beep and then a short beep again).

I moved the gfx card from the bottom pci-express card slot on the m'board and tried it again the beeps have gone but still not getting anything on screen and i don't know why!!?

I thought possibly it was the RAM but it is brand new RAM, and doesn't appear to be faulty also it has activate leds on the top showing it is working but did also try them seperatly on the system (prior to using dimm 2&4 before it stopped working).

i pulled the bios battery on the motherboard and cleared the cmos, and tried the safe boot option on the board, none of this has worked and I'm stuck I really stuck any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks

Ok take a look at this post...make sure you have psu connected to all 4 power connecters on motherboard. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...76&postcount=95

Then I would suggest you flash to bios ver. 510-2 I would try with one stick of ram in dimm slot 2 and only one video card in upper pci-e slot. Clear cmos again and see if you can post. If you can, flash bios. Then try the below settings.

1. Clear cmos (make sure unplug power cable to psu)

2. Boot and go into bios. Set to load optimized default

3. Save and reboot.

4. Set dim voltage to 2.7

Make the below changes.

CAS Latency CL 2.5

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Plus turn off cpu throttling.

Also set cpc to auto (s/b by default)

5. Save and reboot.

6. Run memtest86.

Do this on each stick in dimm slot two. If no issues then place both in dimm slot 2 and 4. Run memtest.

PSU connectors are all definitely corrected fine, checked this a number of times.

The problem with flashing the bios is well ermm I can't ... coz if u read my top post im not getting any output on my monitor mate it's not working so i can't get to the bios to do this i'm well aware that venice core does need an update to work correctly but like i say if i cant get the monitor working/ or any output i cant do jack to the bios atm.

Cmos cleared it (power cable was unplugged from PSU)

I would like to run those changes you speak of in the bios but until I can actually figure out how the feck to get it on I can't do anything to it doh! :drool:

Ok take a look at this post...make sure you have psu connected to all 4 power connecters on motherboard. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...76&postcount=95

Then I would suggest you flash to bios ver. 510-2 I would try with one stick of ram in dimm slot 2 and only one video card in upper pci-e slot. Clear cmos again and see if you can post. If you can flash bios. Then try the below settings.

1. Clear cmos (make sure unplug power cable to psu)

2. Boot and go into bios. Set to load optimized default

3. Save and reboot.

4. Set dim voltage to 2.7

Make the below changes.

CAS Latency CL 2.5

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Plus turn off cpu throttling.

Also set cpc to auto (s/b by default)

5. Save and reboot.

6. Run memtest86.

Do this on each stick in dimm slot two. If no issues then place both in dimm slot 2 and 4. Run memtest.

Look at your diag led's. How many stay lit?

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

Look at your diag led's. How many stay lit?

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

The motherboard LED reads 3 LEDS on lights = CPU has been detected OK

But it just stays on this and doesnt do anything, still have nothing on the monitor ... :confused:

OK, It is not a monitor issue. Try normal cmos clear again with one stick. If that does not work, try the below procedure.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

I just tried a regular cmos clear briefly left it to clear for 20mins that didn't work, I'll try what is recommended in that guide thanks but if it doesnt work I haven't really got the time to do an 8 hour clear so I think it'll have to be back to store with it... :drool:

Ok, one more thing. If the above procedure does not do it for you. Try powering up motherboard outside the case. With just 1 stick of ram, and video. Good luck

I just since found out online - that apparently the revision number of the dfi board I have is a recall jobby by dfi!!?

I read this on overclockers forum same ppl I brought the board from, does anyone know if this is true for sure motherboards with revision number A00 at the end of its serial is in fact a faulty board?

Coz this would explain a shed of load!! :nod: