New to home networking and I have some questions

Rezag1000

I am building a new home and I have ordered a home network to be installed, now I have a few questions.

1. Will the ICS (Internet connection sharing) host computer experience a performance hit either in just computer performance, or internet connection wise?

2. I have two choices for cables : Cat5E and Cat6. I know Cat6 is slightly faster, but is it worth the extra cost (About $5 per connection and I have 6 connections).

thanks!!

Guest Kronos
1. Will the ICS (Internet connection sharing) host computer experience a performance hit either in just computer performance, or internet connection wise?

For a home setup? You will moste likely see a little performance hit. Don't expect have this machine your gaming system and the ICS at the same time.

2. I have two choices for cables : Cat5E and Cat6. I know Cat6 is slightly faster, but is it worth the extra cost (About $5 per connection and I have 6 connections).

I personally think 5E is plenty, 6 is not worth the extra $5 a connection.

Opinions will vary

Guest Kronos

Do like most people do. Purchase a router and have all the PCs connect to the cable modem through the router. You shouldn't need a computer to be a gateway to the internet.

Wall ---- Router ---- All the PCs. It is that easy

if your going wired and the walls are not already wired for a computer then you have to get all that cat5 cable. im not sure on this but isent distance a factor when using wired cat5 cable? i dont know how big your house/apartment is. i have a small room and used a wired router. but my modem/computer/router were not more then 3 feet from each other.

Cat6 if its being installed in a wall...don't want to need to upgrade in a year or two and be stuck with older spec cable if you want to run a faster network speed...get the best right now.

I also agree with the router, you can get an inexpensive router with wireless connectivity and just disable the wireless access point until its needed.

Personally, I plan to use my router with integrated 4-port switch, then add a Gigabit switch to run my machines on, using the router to connect the Gigabit switch, WAN, and any other slower peripherals (wireless access point, multifunction printer, etc)...right now I have two 5-port 10/100 switches and my Brother MFC-5440CN plugged into the router.

Once I move to all Gigabit connections, I'm going to use my file server to store all our media files, even do direct DV capture from my rig over the network to the server...now thats fast!

Yes, positive it will work as it's how I'm set up right now. I have 1 rig downstairs where my modem and router are, and 2 upstairs hardwired through the walls.

not a wireless router, but are you sure it can work?