BSOD heaven dfi NF4 ultra D

Instead of ranting like id love to atm im going to stay calm and refrain from smashing this board in

This is my third attempt in 20mins at writing this

Ok basically since monday iv had nothing but bsods on almost every boot, its fine until it gets into windows then it bsods

At first i thought it was down to the mobo giving my mem 2.68v when its best at 2.6v (very voltage picky tccd 437 chips), also set to 2.6v. usually 3 reboots and bios toying got it to boot and be fine for a few hours.

But today it does it no matter what i try and make the voltage get set to

This is with the chip overclocked at 305x9 1.57v where by it is prime stable previous to this. Taking it to stock makes no difference bsods are just as frequent.

I upped the LDT to 1.4v and chipset to 1.7v and it hasnt bsod'ed as frequently

tho it seems to last 10minutes at a time at the moment before each bsod

i ran memtest for 20mins test 5 and all was well as it has been previously

It isnt the chip as i ran a 3700 san diego to test yesterday and the same things occurred, again all at stock

im on bios 414-3

spec will be added to sig asap

PLEASE HELP ME, i dont want to rma as i heard it takes 3 weeks from dfi

regards

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is PLEASE tell me if you figure it out. I've got the exact same ..

I can run memtest all day and night with 0 errors, but when I boot at stock speeds with conservative settings, I get BSODs. Apps crash, Prime BSODs, etc.

I've written down a colorful list of all the BSOD errors I've gotten...

BAD_POOL_HEADER

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

etc

etc

etc

All I can say is PLEASE tell me if you figure it out. I've got the exact same ..

I can run memtest all day and night with 0 errors, but when I boot at stock speeds with conservative settings, I get BSODs. Apps crash, Prime BSODs, etc.

I've written down a colorful list of all the BSOD errors I've gotten...

BAD_POOL_HEADER

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

etc

etc

etc

mine seem all to be DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL i think, ill keep an eye out and take the bsod down next time, i just get so annoyed and restart before i take it down

it used to do this 3 weeks ago, but stragely a defrag fixed it, wierd

resetting cmos does nothing here either

likewise mate if you get it sorted

well...once you get a random reboot or BSOD, your OS could be corrupted. When you are trying to get into windows, is this after a reinstall? Most likely you will have to reinstall the OS. This is what I did:

1. Make my settings in the bios

2. run memtest: first with each individual stick for 12hrs each, then 12 hrs with both sticks in (most ppl will loop test #8 for a few hours, I am patient cuz I wanna ensure a stable system)

3. After 36hrs of passing memtest, I reinstalled Windows XP (make sure you delete your current partitions and remake them so that it formats your hdd)

4. After installation, I installed my network drivers (only Marvell works for me) and did a windows update for SP1,SP2 (I have an old version of windows XP). Of course having a windows XP SP2 CD would be best.

5. Once the OS is completely updated, I continued to install the chipset drivers downloaded from nvidia site (make sure you dont install the IDE drivers as it has been known to give problems, just install the bare minimum that you need).

6. After installing all drivers (including my video card drivers) I started to do some testing. Prime (for 12hrs) and OCCT are good tests for stability. Then I continued with other tests like Sandra, winmark, etc.

As you can see, this really takes a lot of time. It took me about 2 weeks to get my system up and running to where I'm at now. I've had no stability problems since (only 1month so far, keeping my fingers crossed). I hope that you may find my information helpful.

well...once you get a random reboot or BSOD, your OS could be corrupted. When you are trying to get into windows, is this after a reinstall? Most likely you will have to reinstall the OS. This is what I did:

1. Make my settings in the bios

2. run memtest: first with each individual stick for 12hrs each, then 12 hrs with both sticks in (most ppl will loop test #8 for a few hours, I am patient cuz I wanna ensure a stable system)

3. After 36hrs of passing memtest, I reinstalled Windows XP (make sure you delete your current partitions and remake them so that it formats your hdd)

4. After installation, I installed my network drivers (only Marvell works for me) and did a windows update for SP1,SP2 (I have an old version of windows XP). Of course having a windows XP SP2 CD would be best.

5. Once the OS is completely updated, I continued to install the chipset drivers downloaded from nvidia site (make sure you dont install the IDE drivers as it has been known to give problems, just install the bare minimum that you need).

6. After installing all drivers (including my video card drivers) I started to do some testing. Prime (for 12hrs) and OCCT are good tests for stability. Then I continued with other tests like Sandra, winmark, etc.

As you can see, this really takes a lot of time. It took me about 2 weeks to get my system up and running to where I'm at now. I've had no stability problems since (only 1month so far, keeping my fingers crossed). I hope that you may find my information helpful.

i will do this, but have an assignment due 2moro, been trying for the last few days to do this but bosds mean i lose my work :( and keep getting put back

its a few week old instalation, and the problems started out of the blue 2 days ago, formally an extremely stable system

maybe the OS is just fooked, damm, well better thna a broken mobo, we'll see whats up anyway :)

think i may ahve to walk to the campus library to do my work

cheers mate, tho if anyone else has any suggestions feel free to post away

Personally, I let my memtest run for almost 2 days and it didn't find a single problem. I still got BSOD errors even after fresh XP installs. Not to say you shouldn't try it, but I'm just saying it didn't help at all for me

Personally, I let my memtest run for almost 2 days and it didn't find a single problem. I still got BSOD errors even after fresh XP installs. Not to say you shouldn't try it, but I'm just saying it didn't help at all for me

Llathos, did you run any more tests once you got into windows?

well passing memtest (unfortunately) doesnt guarantee that your system is stable. I've had cases where I pass memtest and it wont even boot into windows. That's why I usually run serveral tests as there is no one test that guarantees 100% stability. In fact, I don't believe in a 100% stable system, problems are bound to happen sometime down the road.

i used a 3500+ newcastle on my sli-dr no problems the moment i put a winchester in i couldnt run it in dual channel kept getting BSOD. i found out that all i needed was tweak memory settings this is what i got so far and been using it with no problems.

if you are using a winchester core set

DRAM DRIVE STRENGTH TO AUTO

DRAM DATA DRIVE STRENGTH TO LEVEL 2 IF USING BH,CH. OR UTT MEMORY

is using newcastle or clawhammer core

DRAM DRIVE STRENGTH TO 2, 4 , 6 , 8

DRAM DATA DRIVE STRENGTH TO 2

i never used a venice core but ever since i used my winchester i used those settings and never got BSOD again

----------------------

3500+ winchester 240x11

OCZ 2x512 @ 1:1 3.2v

connect3d x850xt @ stock speeds

74gb raptor and 160gb

plextor 716a

cpu is wattercooled

the thing is mate why would it decide to all of a sudden stop working

ok fair enough the memory settings may help incases where by they could never get it to work, but in my case iv been running stabley for 2months with no change of settings then bam!

i get the bsods

it isnt teh chip either as it does identical stuff with a 3700 diego

new gfx card 2moro so will do a reformat then, this last week has been a frustrating one, im even thinking chucking this dfi and plumping ofr an epox at £70