ultra-d 2nd pci-e slot question

I just moved mine to the 2nd PCIe slot since my X800XL would no longer fit with my new ATI Silencer 5 rev2. I know people have said it would fit but mine was hitting the chipset fan and tilting it. I was planning on moving it down anyway so that I could get a larger chipset cooler. Anyway all I did was moved the 6 jumpers and booted. It gave me a beep on the first boot but not since.

how do you know what the PCI-e is currently running at?....where can you see? I ask because:

In Everest - Motherboard/Chipset

it tells me that PCI-E port #1 is "In Use @ x8"

I have my x800xl in the botton pci-e slot...and i never moved the jumpers.

I don't where you can see what its running at. Everywhere I read has said that with the jumpers all in the top position (default) that the first PCIe x16 slot runs at 16x and the 2nd one runs at 2x. If you move them all to the bottom they both run at 8x.

Five or six people have run 3d benchmarks and their scores were quiet a bit worse in the lower x16 slot with the jumpers in the default position. Once they moved the jumpers their scores were right up there with the top x16 slot.

they are 16x slots but they run at 8x. Thats the misconsuption I think alot of people are having or maybe 1 that I still dont understand myself.

However, To check to see what your running at go to desktop -> right click -> properties -> settings -> advanced -> Then click the video tab (I have a 6600gt so mine says GeForce 6600GT). This section will tell you the Bus of your card. Mine is in the 2nd slot and is running at 8x.

they are 16x slots but they run at 8x. Thats the misconsuption I think alot of people are having or maybe 1 that I still dont understand myself.

Im not sure if I understand that correctly yet either..

But I think it has to do with the amount of pci-e lanes in the chipset.. When runnin SLI mode it has to go down to 8x each because if they were both 16x it would exceed the amount of lanes available in the chipset.. So both "slots" are 16x capable but the chipset doesnt have enough lanes to support all of them .

Im sure someone will be around to correct me if im wrong.. ;)