Installing 74GB WD raptor on DFI NF3

Hey guys, this probly seems a bit noob, but i have a raptor coming, and i have never used a SATA drive before.

How/where do i get the drivers? Ive tryed looking at slipstreaming SP2 onto XP, but well it's far to difficult for me.

Can i just a floppy drive? if so how?

Thanks very much.

Im to much of a noob to work all that crap out, eheh thanks anyways.

Yes, it's just the Raptor as the main drive, and a 160gig IDE as secondary.

So i just format and install the OS normally? No installing SATA drivers????? With normal XP Pro.

I only know that this works with SP2 slipstreamed WinXP for certain. But it won't hurt to use the RAID floppy as there are SATA drivers on it. I've done it both ways (with and without installing drivers at F6 prompt) and they both work. Make sure you're using SATA port 3 or 4. If you look at the site I linked to for nLite, you'll find that there are easy directions to follow. I'm definitely no software expert, but I'll never install without slipstreaming again. The OS is much smoother and faster this way. Good luck.

Ok thanks guys, ill have a look at that for next time i do wanna learn how to do it.

yeah i read about the prots, iam using SATA 3. Formating the drive at the mo, cheers guys.

Really need some help here. :(

Set up drive ok, BIOS recognised it, made it number 1 boot drive ahead of IDE drive.

Went Setup XP, usual stuff, selected me raptor, went format, the long format, then on the next screen when it swaps the file, it comes up with loads of files it cna't swap, and says i can carry on or press f3 to stop.

This happened before on my other HD, that was the reason why i got this raptor.

please what the hell am i doing wrong lads.

The fille was somet .dll different 1 each time.

That's usually a sign of instability in the system during the install.

First try another SATA cable.

If that doesn't work.

Clear CMOS and reset BIOS defaults.

Use memtest to qualify your RAM one stick at a time in slot 1. If both pass memtest for at least four passes, test both sticks in slots 1 and 3.

Try installing the OS with only one stick in slot 1. Once the OS is installed you can put both sticks in and give it a qualifying run with prime95.

I ran memetest 1.55 built into BIOs for 4 passes, 1hour 30 mins, and 0 errors., so it can't be the memory?

I swapped the sticks round and tryed it, same thing, it now doesn't format if i press f, it skips that, and goes to the file swapping. If i try and just leave it and carry on, it says there's already a folder with windows or somet says A:

What the hell is wrong?:(

only have your cd and SATA drive you want windows installed on plugged in

make sure bios is set for SATA 1/2 (or 3/4, i always turn all of them on)

put XP install cd into drive and boot into bios

make sure HDD Boot Priority sees the SATA drive and lists it first

save & exit and install XP