[Resolved] resolution for disappearing Maxtor drives? (post #12)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue *may* also be caused by pin 11 on the SATA connector not being grounded. If pin 11 is not grounded, the drive uses a delayed spin up and may not be detected in BIOS.

Just to clear up some confusion on this issue. When an ttl input signal is 'floating', i.e. not being driven either high or low, it is 'usually' seen as a high. If your system power supply is loaded down, it could cause the threshold to be lower and then more prone to be 'seen' as a low at the exact instant in time that the signal is looked at, especially with random noise on the input, hence the 'sometimes it's seen, sometimes the drive is not seen' problem.

Guest slayer

Hi Guys

I just picked up a 300gb Maxtor SATA drive 6B300S0 and have just stumbled across this thread as the install hasn't been a whole lot of fun. Basically during the windows install it had trouble copying a few files but eventually I had an install that made it all the way through. The troubles I'm encountering now is that windows xp takes about 5mins to boot sitting at the boot screen with the hdd led on the whole time. It does end up in windows though and seems to work fine (only played around for 5mins) Does this sound like the firmware problem you have been encountering? It seems to detect fine in the bios each time.

The drive was manufactured in July and I beleive the firmware is BANC1G10, basically I'm hoping to find out if that's what is causing my problems and if so could somebody please send me the firmware update to me as I'm in Australia with no tech support line :( At first I thought it may of been because I am overclocking but have read that it's not much of a factor with sata drives?

Look forward to your replies

Guest slayer
One way to test it out certainly would be, if you have a spare drive to play with, to try installing on the other drive and see if it seems to do ok.

Only other drive I have is an ide drive which already had windows installed on it which is booting no problems. The maxtor seems to work fine other than extrememly slow windows boots :(

Hoping someone can send a firmware my way that I can test but the thing playing in my mind is this is hdd was only manufactured fairly recently and I would of thought the firmware on the drive would be fairly new.

My 6B080M0 has BANC1E00 and is still hanging and corrupting with NCQ on. Maxtor has been completely dumb suggesting me to run PowerMax in a NF4 board...

I'm not the expert, but from reading different forums it doesn't seem like NCQ really gains you much anyway. In this forum I know I have people say turn it off for best results. I'm not running it and it appears to be very quick, plus all my lock ups disappeared once I got the BANC1E00 firmware installed.

Guest slayer
I'm not the expert, but from reading different forums it doesn't seem like NCQ really gains you much anyway. In this forum I know I have people say turn it off for best results. I'm not running it and it appears to be very quick, plus all my lock ups disappeared once I got the BANC1E00 firmware installed.

Hi Aptrout

Do you happen to still have that firmware file on your hard drive? I havn't heard back from maxtor yet and all Australian Support is away for the weekend :(

I've had a bit more of a play with mine today and it's very weird the 1st boot took an eternity to get into windows but since then when I reboot it's been fairly quick (i.e the status bar went across a few times then I was in), After that I had a couple of times where it took a while to get in again. I really don't know if it's the firmware problem or not the only reason I doubt it is because the drive was manufactured a month ago. I'm running a 285fsb would that cause an issue with a sata drive? I did knock it back down to 235fb to test but because of the intermittent problem it's very hard to narrow down whats going on and 295fsb booted fine as well :confused:

Contacted Maxtor Support today via mail and they sent me a list of almost 20 Questions to answer before sending me the Firmware. So would anybody of you be so kind and send me the proper DM10 Firmware to the following Email-Addy: done

Thanks for you help!