[Resolved] resolution for disappearing Maxtor drives? (post #12)

well RMA would be ok if i had the time.

Anyway. how am i supposed to backup 650GB of data? burning that to DVDs would take me about 3-4 working days...

if they would send me the new HDDs in advance, then it would work. But i don't think they would do that.

So let me see; either i go buy T7K250 or Samsung T133... plug them into the other NF3 Computer i have and then ... wait a quite long time with GB Ethernet ;-)

cya

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

comment to Tecnomancer: New experience Maxtor 300GB SATA with 1G10

I have experiences with a DM10 250GB SATA and a T7K250 250GB SATA, unfortunately the problem with reading errors was present on both of this drives.

The biggest problem is that the faults appear very intermittently, it can take weeks or months before it appears again. This makes fault-tracing very difficult.

My DM10 worked for 6 months without a problem, the T7K250 only a couple of days.

Paul

well RMA would be ok if i had the time.

Anyway. how am i supposed to backup 650GB of data? burning that to DVDs would take me about 3-4 working days...

if they would send me the new HDDs in advance, then it would work. But i don't think they would do that.

So let me see; either i go buy T7K250 or Samsung T133... plug them into the other NF3 Computer i have and then ... wait a quite long time with GB Ethernet ;-)

cya

BLJ,

If you do an Advanced RMA, they can send you the drive(s) in advance and you have 30 days to return your current drive(s) to them before they charge your credit card. So, you can get new HDDs with new hardware change that gives you the latest firmware, 1G10, and you get them in advance. :nod: So, they will do that and it will work for you. Right? ;)

Good luck and if you do the ARMA then please let us all know how it works out for you.

I want to RMA, but I have sensitive documents on the current drive. How do I erase it and RMA it? What do you guys suggest? If I can't wipe the disk twice over and return it, I rather take the lost. Can I ensure the documents can't be read?

I’ve tried to flash my Maxtor MaXLine III hhd’s on three evenings and now it is enough. I give up! First I mod my new Lian-Li V2000 plus case with a new water-cooling-system. When I’ve done this, I want to exchange the Maxtor MaXLine hhd’s. I want to buy Western Digital Caviar SE16 (WD2500KS) hdd’s. When I’ve got the new drives, I open the window and throw the old Maxtor MaXLine III hhd’s out! I will never buy such products from Maxtor again!

@ Bushwacka,

everything you say is correct. But the Promise SATAII150 TX2plus controller is a non-raid controller! And the Maxtor MaXLine III hhd is also not listed at the hard drive compatibility list.

Cya

(Sorry for my bad English! :eek: )

I’ve tried to flash my Maxtor MaXLine III hhd’s on three evenings and now it is enough. I give up! First I mod my new Lian-Li V2000 plus case with a new water-cooling-system. When I’ve done this, I want to exchange the Maxtor MaXLine hhd’s. I want to buy Western Digital Caviar SE16 (WD2500KS) hdd’s. When I’ve got the new drives, I open the window and throw the old Maxtor MaXLine III hhd’s out! I will never buy such products from Maxtor again!

I had the same issues as you guys (posted somewhere on this board). My drives would work fine except when I shut down while overclocked. When I restarted they would disappear. The firmware flash would not work - kept getting an error. So I decided to go with the WD Caviar SE16 drive as well. I yanked one of the Maxtors and put the WD in. Rebooted with both in and have not had a problem with the remaining Maxtor since. I have no idea why.

BTW - I received GREAT customer service in my dealings with Maxtor (I think I worked with Cheryl at some point as well).

have not had any problems with my maxtors even my old one from 2003 Diamodmax plus 9 ATA133

or my SATA Diamondmax 10 model: 6L250S0

THE only problems I is with an old ata 1GB maxtor

Hi you guys, I RMA'd my drive just now (got an RMA number finally, plus I chose

the advanced RMA option, you need to have a credit card, of course).

In order for them to finally isuue an RMA, I had to get a little, hm, LOUD with them...

It helped that I know my way around the English language (taking it at the

university finally payed off, hehe ;) )...

They really got me angry to flip that much, though....the guy that answered (Danny

Xuan?) wrote back in indecipherable gibberish...for 5 mails, they just acted as if they

never read what I wrote).

@Makrolon: I don't know how good your English is, but I guess you'll also be able

to phone them in German at 01801-62 98 67 (got that number from their site).

They are staffed Mo-Do 8:30 - 17:00, Fr 8:30 - 16:00...during the holidays, they'll

only offer reduced calling hours (no phone service on the 23th, the Christmas

holidays, the 30th etc.). Maybe you could give them a call on the 27th?

Drives with firmware E0 continue rebooting once a day((

I found no way to dump firmware G1 from new drives, so I sent my problem to the Maxtor support and that's what they replied:

Sometimes the error caused by slight difference in the drive capacity.

Please check the drive with PowerMax, our diagnostic utility

( you can download from http://www.maxtor.com/ and open software downlaods )

You can also change LBA Number with MaxBlast4

but the drive should be directly connected to PC and not in RAID mode.

Hmm.. I'll try to compare the drives and correct any differences.

Drives with firmware E0 continue rebooting once a day((

I found no way to dump firmware G1 from new drives, so I sent my problem to the Maxtor support and that's what they replied:

Sometimes the error caused by slight difference in the drive capacity.

Please check the drive with PowerMax, our diagnostic utility

( you can download from http://www.maxtor.com/ and open software downlaods )

You can also change LBA Number with MaxBlast4

but the drive should be directly connected to PC and not in RAID mode.

Hmm.. I'll try to compare the drives and correct any differences.

Hi there,

it came out, that BANC 1Gxx needs a different Hardware layer, as well. So you won't be able to flash 1Gxx on your E0 HDDs.

The best would be replace the E0 by new G1....

cya