[Resolved] resolution for disappearing Maxtor drives? (post #12)

REMOVE the nVidia IDE drivers! They were the culprit when I was having hanging problems at boot. This might also fix the stability problems. Use add/remove to get rid of the drivers, then manually "update driver" on each of your IDE controllers and pick the generic Windows drivers, just to be sure that you've overwritten the nVidia stuff.

This seems to tally perfectly with the fact that when I do get a BSOD, the file at fault is NVATA.SYS. I'll try replacing the drivers with Windows' own. But I'm still confused as to why the IDE driver screwing up makes my SATA drive step down to PIO mode?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to tally perfectly with the fact that when I do get a BSOD, the file at fault is NVATA.SYS. I'll try replacing the drivers with Windows' own. But I'm still confused as to why the IDE driver screwing up makes my SATA drive step down to PIO mode?

It may actually be your computer trying to fix itself. In my case, I had to manually switch to PIO mode before I could boot in normal mode. Perhaps yours is somehow set to try PIO mode on its own if DMA doesn't work under the nF4 drivers.

***UPDATE*** - Guys... everytime I login, I have about 5 private messages asking me for firmware updates. I no longer have any of them... If you need firmware updates, check out POST #101 in this thread. I have provided a Maxtor e-mail address for you to request and receive firmware updates.

-Thanks

Hi all,

I have a

Maxtor Diamond Max 10

Model 6B200M0 SATA

Firmware BANC1B70

I have similar problems with my hard drive. I only have the BANC1E00 firmware without the BANC1BY0.

Can I directly update from BANC1B70 to BANC1E00 without having to pass through BANC1BY0. :confused:

Have anyone tried this?

Can anyone comment on this, especially "AthlonAlien", all help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

:angel:

could someone explain me how to make a bootable floppy for the firmware update. if i make a floppy with windows xp (create ms-dos boot disk) the files for the floppy are too big and too many that i cannot copy all stuff for the firmware update on it.

thank you a lot

could somebody pls send me the firmware?

[email protected]

(remove the to x)

thank you very much!

EDIT: are all drivers having the same Firmwares?

Mines are Maxtor Dimaondmax 10, SATA, 200GB...

could someone explain me how to make a bootable floppy for the firmware update. if i make a floppy with windows xp (create ms-dos boot disk) the files for the floppy are too big and too many that i cannot copy all stuff for the firmware update on it.

as far as i know you do not need all files on the disk, you may delete some... ;-)

or try it with a win98 bootable.

Or look in the internet for images of bootable floppys, there are some around!

cya

Hello everybody,

newest Firmware (as far as i know) would be BANC1G10.

i'm trying to get them now from Maxtor.

But i'm quite sure they won't send me, as the last two times, when they didn't send me anything...

i've uploaded BANC1E00 and BANC1BY0

cya

HiHo,

i've tried to update the Firmware on all my Maxtor DM10:

2x 6B200M004581A

BANC19J0 SN: B40ACDAH

BANC19J0 SN: B40ABZ7H

2x 6B200M004601A

BANC1B10 SN: B40S4A9H

BANC1B10 SN: B40S4AMH

Update to BANC1BYO worked well on all of them.

When trying to update to BANC1E00 it allway told me (tried it with all of them) that it would be the wrong Firmware...

it asked me for continuing anyway.

What did you do?

cya

how have you guy upgraded your drive? cos the maxtor upgrade utility doesnt recognize my harddisk. i use it with the nforce4 standard sata controller

bye

it does NOT work with that controller.

you need to use another controller, like a silicon image or Intel ICHR5...

cya