setting up motherboard

Hi, im new to the world of computers. I like putting things together, mainly car things because im a automechanic. However i want to try building a computer, i've read many forums and manuals for my hardware and i have a general idea on how to put it together peice by peice/wire by wire. However i don't really know about stuff related to the jumpers on my motherboard.

My real question is:

What jumpers and the settings should i put for my rig?

my computer specs should be on my signiture

P.S you can laugh but at least help me, Please and Thank you

jumpers = you dont need to fool with any jumpers on the board (for beginners, advanced users can play with them a bit for certain things)

always upon first successful boot, go into bios, and Load Optimized Defaults, save & exit. Return to bios if you want to turn things on/turn things off etc.

jumpers = you dont need to fool with any jumpers on the board (for beginners, advanced users can play with them a bit for certain things)

always upon first successful boot, go into bios, and Load Optimized Defaults, save & exit. Return to bios if you want to turn things on/turn things off etc.

So, you say I can proceed to install OS and drivers, etc, now that Optimised Defaults are Loaded.

Oh yes, I am a beginner, but not 4 long, hehe :D

ah thank you....

now i have some specific questions about some jumper settings....

im interested in ps/2 power select/ usb power select/ s/pdif-out settings and the dram 4v support as i tend to pick up some overclocking...

question: should i turn them all on? and put the jumpers for the dram 4v select?

also

is my ram ok for a newb overclocker? (can i maybe tighten the ram settings maybe oc ram to 220 fsb?)

thanks

Don't move the DRAM jumper unless you find yourself wanting more than 3.3V. The regulators will get seriously hot if they have to regulate down from 5V to 2.6 as opposed to from 3.3.

The power select jumpers can be left on 5V (not 5VSB) unless you want to be able to turn the computer on with your keyboard or something.

If you're not using s/pdif out then don't bother with it but if you are then set it the way you want to use it. I don't usually install the realtek related drivers so I would probably set it to "out via nForce4" but then again I don't use s/pdif so I don't know.

I don't really know much about your ram but to be honest it doesn't sound great, maybe find some RAM with BH-5 or TCCD chips in it, also I have heard good things about the OCZ VX.

Don't move the DRAM jumper unless you find yourself wanting more than 3.3V. The regulators will get seriously hot if they have to regulate down from 5V to 2.6 as opposed to from 3.3.

The power select jumpers can be left on 5V (not 5VSB) unless you want to be able to turn the computer on with your keyboard or something.

If you're not using s/pdif out then don't bother with it but if you are then set it the way you want to use it. I don't usually install the realtek related drivers so I would probably set it to "out via nForce4" but then again I don't use s/pdif so I don't know.

I don't really know much about your ram but to be honest it doesn't sound great, maybe find some RAM with BH-5 or TCCD chips in it, also I have heard good things about the OCZ VX.

ah thank you..... to my knowledge... my ram should be better than then ocz value or performance series and better than the corsair value series..... so i think i can get a bit of something out of them.....

o and for my motherboard i dont have a IDE HD.. so is it ok to leave some slots empty and unpluged? or do i gotta have something plugged in for every slot...

On my Ultra-D system because I stole the CD-ROM drive from it there is nothing plugged into either IDE port right now and it works fine.

That's good your ram is better than corsair value because that stuff has not really been working at all in this board. Also the 3/10 bios seems to improve ram compatibility so you might want to try it if you hit a wall ocing.