Got £3000 ($5700) for a super fast pc...AXP->FX55?

robo989

Alienware = for muppets

Amen Brother!

Be Aware:

Your OC adventures will be seriously reduced with both SATA controllers used. Once you involve the SIL SATA controller you're limited to around 240MHz FSB.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

so much money and planning to use the onboard controller :D

damn man

the thing u allways wanted, but never knew, is....

Areca ARC-1220 (8x SATA300 RAID, 128MB, PCIe X1-X8) 700 euro

or the 12 or 16 port if u find those for pci-e :D

trust me, that is like a 10000000000000x better then that onboard crap :D

a real and superfast sata2 raid5 controller, my dream... :P

here is an EU address that imports them:

http://www.webconnexxion.com/

if u dont like the unknown name (its asian, and indeed unknown in EU and US) then ull just have to trust me that ive read some reviews about it (dutch) that REALLY show its an awesome controller (like 1000000000000000x better then those sucky 3ware . controllers nowadays)

LSI also announced a comparable controller, but that aint available yet

hey thanx people, very useful info :)

hmmm...funny you should mension the vapochill as I think I'm defo gonna take that route (well not "think"..."will"...) I'd just been looking at this before you mentioned it...

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=363&page=3

seems very tempting and easy to setup, no cooling on the GPU, but I can live with that, that SATA controller looks very interesting also...

I didn't really have any intention of using the Sil3114 controller, I've had enough of it in my current LPB, yeah I don't know why mobo makers insist on bolting on such crappy cpu dependant rubbish on otherwise very gud mobo's...oh well

How about if I just used the onboard SATA2 controller (the nvidia one), does that hinder overclocking too? I guess it does but then I have read in numerious places it isn't as "naughty" for want of a better word as most onboard tosh.

anyway, still interested in more comments if you got any thanx :)

What sort of overclocks do you get with this Asetek VaporChill XE II and the Lightspeed?

If you want an add-in controller LSI is a good solution.

The LSI controllers are very high quality and they offer great support. I use them all the time in large capacity servers. I have two of their four port ATA-133 controllers running in a server right now. I replaced a Compac Smart Array controller with an LSI a couple of weeks ago and was able to increase I/O throughput by 50%.

Hi mate, strange since the car crash I was in I never really been into computers as much, I remember always wanting one of those prometia things now...

Anyway, I did a search on google and it only seems to come up with old reviews n stuff for old models, do they do a modern version thats like not a year or more old?

thanx :)

nVentive went bankrupt (nVentiv = maker of prommie) so I doubt there will be anything newer than a year old, yet they are still the best cooling solution you can get. You can also get vapochill, but I prefer prometiea.

• 7 months later...