Raid 0?

Mekrel

Well im quite confused, so far mysetup of Hard disks are like so:

35gb Raptor: 3 partitions [ Windows/ Installs/ Pagefile]

120gig Maxtor: 2 Partitions [backup and another partition I use for my Unattended windows CD making]

Now raid 0 is where the one hard disk is copied to another right? So that means one of my drives is like a ghost of the other one? And I cant hold any other data on there else it will be overwritten?

RAID-0 = striping

Also known as data striping, RAID 0 functionality divides data into blocks and distributes the blocks across multiple disks in a array. Distributing the disk I/O load across disks and controllers improves disk I/O performance. However, striping decreases availability because one disk failure makes the entire disk array unavailable.

RAID-1 = mirroring

Also known as data mirroring, RAID 1 functionality maintains identical copies of data on different disks in an array. Duplicating data provides high data availability. In addition, RAID 1 improves the disk read performance, because data can be read from two locations. However, RAID 1 decreases disk write performance, because data must be written twice. Mirroring n disks requires 2n disks.

RAID-5 = striping with parity checking

Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripes error correction information. This is the best out of any RAID solution for data recovery. It requires a minimum of 3 hard-drives, and at least 1 online spare.

ahh so I was refering to Raid 1 in my post. I saw the website you got that info from a long time back but couldnt dig it from google.

Thanks alot Angry_Games :)

Hmmm, so raid 0 seems like a good bet. Is it hard to setup, and can I keep the current hard disk setup I have at the moment with the same partititions etc?

RAID-0 is only a good bet if you have a backup drive or do not care if you possibly lose whatever is on the drives.

I have never had a RAID-0 fail me, but the possibility is always there.

you cannot keep the current drive the same way. You will have to destroy all partitions on the drive, and then plug in the second drive, go into the RAID control, set it to RAID-0, set a stripe size, then load Windows/Linux etc.

During the OS installation you can choose partitions sizes etc

Hmmm, thanks for helping me. Might not bother then, unless I get a third drive another raptor that is to raid with the system one and keep the other as the data backup like I am now.

I take it I can do that, have 2 drives in raid 0 and one in no raid.