NForce 3 lan party 250GB LAN issue

SOLUTION Scroll down POST Post #15

it may help with lag issue you being having

it solve all my problems

Nforce 4 user should defenatly test there boards

i posted this a day ago in nforcersHQ forums got send over here

from my ethernet going dead from time to time putting/entering mac address in bios testing drivers (( i know alot of user have this problem not just me )))

i can't get rid of this issue

when ftp small files under 20KB there a pause of 1 -2 sec like it made error and trying to correction uploading more an extra 10KB + this just an example have look for your self

Updated VIDEO BELLOW plz view

got a cheap $9 PCI ethernet card takes no pauses and speed's through everything that Nvidia's controller pauses. they can really add alot of time to my transfer..

(((( problem is i use all my PCI and had to take out a hardware MPEG2 decoder to test this i can't have that need my PCI decoder ))))

come on DFI fix via bios update ...

anyone esle having problems

by the way this in lan ftp tranfer /NOT Internet ftp/ (xbox)

ok so i updated the video one for each ethernet card

how a cheap $9 ethernet card transfer files without an issue while i can't say the same for the DFI nforce 3 lan

:angel: zip files uncompress and play:video in there /were going to be .rar but some people may not have winrar :angel:

link for the Nforce 3 lan test Watch ME a massive 2.19MB i know but you have to see it

*optimize for throughput or CPU same thing* no help there

Cheap $9 ethernet card Watch ME a massive 794KB

i'm done :P anyone have any similar issues

will nvidia fix this via driver or DFI via BIOS ........;)

before i forget

550 WATT antech power supply

3200+ a64 water cool

DDR 500 runing @ 400 for now 1 GB 2 x512MB ADATA

DFI lan party 250GB ut board

BFG 6800GT no overclock

4 hard drive PATA 3 X160GB 1X80GB <-windows XP pro

1XDVD-RW NEC 1XCD-RW PATA ASUS

audigy 1 PCI

PROMISE 100 tX2 ATA PCI

Twinhan VisionPlus VP1020A PCI

NetStream 2000 PCI =hardware MPEG2 decoder

flash with

DFI beta 10/15 - 4.0 vdimm - by Jess1313 & Samurai Jack(aka JSJ)

but i previously tried all DFI bioses no fix to my problem

Originally posted by ATT-Halfgimp

i'm done :P anyone have any similar issues

will nvidia fix this via driver or DFI via BIOS ........;)

[/b]

Works fine here.

I think that nVidia won't be "fixing" this nor will DFI.

Look around the forum man, there are stickies a plenty on how to setup the onboard LAN controller such as MAC address shiz in the BiOS and driver settings in Windows.

From your description "there a pause of 1 -2 sec like it made error and trying to correction uploading more an extra 10KB +" it sounds like you need to play with the nvFirewall stuff. Maybe turn it off completely, i don't know how paranoid you are about security :P

well thing is i'm not using NVidia firewall

i just install the nvidia drivers from the site and i think they don't included the NVfirewall in the drivers.

only firewall im using is zonealarm the latest version and the Realteak $9 ethernet card i use to compare has no problem with zonealarm and even if i turn ZA off i still see the delay nothing changes.

i just install the nvidia drivers from the site and i think they don't included the NVfirewall in the drivers.

they do. When you install the driver package it asks if you want to install the Nvidia network Manager software.

if you have a hardware router with NAT capability, turn off ALL firewalls as you only need the router.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section, paying close attention to the second post in teh 'critical' thread (about system specs in your sig).

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post.

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version. The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

AG,

A router with NAT will only protect you on the incoming side. A software or hardware firewall will protect you in both directions.

For example, if a program wants to get out to the internet a software firewall will either block it or ask if you want to block it.

That's how the worms propagate. They send out packets from an infected computer.

A hardware firewall will block anything but approved packets then send a message to the admin console for diagnosis. That's how we blocked an infected laptop from jumping ship at the local Naval Station.

oh i already did enter the MAC address in bios that was no problem at all not asking about that at all just making the point people are having problems lan playing dead.

my trouble is FTP files 20KB and bellow with the intergrated NFroce 3 lan as you can see form the videos in my first post there something wrong. I use static Ip for every PC in my Network this is not DHCP Server/or router issue i have a WRT54GS i had from linux (Sveasoft firmware ) to linksys own firmware load on to it got same thing if a PCI ethernet card can FTP just fine with same router soft firewall installed FlashFXP is allow access to the network . not a beginner @ this type of thing i only beeing trying to solve this for weeks now by my self after going after 5 beta and old drivers i even force install :D Nforce 4 lan drivers last nigth no help neither .... then decided to post on nforcershq DFI section forums they send me over here

driver ver 5.10

by the i just did a uninstall of drivers and reinstall i did get the option to install the NV firewall so i stand corrected and i did hit NO did quick test got the same thing will you like new video ;) j/k

i also have an aopen Nforce 3 150 no problems with lan side of it but i love my DFI more freedom when it comes to overclocking....

what to do what to do ...:confused:

A router with NAT will only protect you on the incoming side. A software or hardware firewall will protect you in both directions.

incorrect. A quality router with full NAT capabilities and controls will protect on both ends. A quick run to GRC.com and testing both incoming and outgoing will let you know if you are protected.

You should always be vigilant about your internet and never assume that any software or hardware is going to protect you 100% of the time.

as for your Naval station routers...dont know. Our corp routers and any that I install for small business and residential networks are all set up for incoming and outgoing permissions like a good network should be.

again...always be vigilant about your anti-virus and firewalls. Assuming that hardware or software will protect you without any input is folly and you will get burned.

Originally posted by ATT-Halfgimp

oh i already did enter the MAC address in bios that was no problem at all not asking about that at all just making the point people are having problems lan playing dead.

my trouble is FTP files 20KB and bellow with the intergrated NFroce 3 lan as you can see form the videos in my first post there something wrong. I use static Ip for every PC in my Network this is not DHCP Server/or router issue i have a WRT54GS i had from linux (Sveasoft firmware ) to linksys own firmware load on to it got same thing if a PCI ethernet card can FTP just fine with same router soft firewall installed FlashFXP is allow access to the network . not a beginner @ this type of thing i only beeing trying to solve this for weeks now by my self after going after 5 beta and old drivers i even force install :D Nforce 4 lan drivers last nigth no help neither .... then decided to post on nforcershq DFI section forums they send me over here

driver ver 5.10

by the i just did a uninstall of drivers and reinstall i did get the option to install the NV firewall so i stand corrected and i did hit NO did quick test got the same thing will you like new video ;) j/k

i also have an aopen Nforce 3 150 no problems with lan side of it but i love my DFI more freedom when it comes to overclocking....

what to do what to do ...:confused:

try forcing a connection speed.

if that doesnt work, give me full description of your network setup including devices (model names/numbers) and I will have TW look at the problem.

forcing 100MBps does not help

ok my network setup is WRT54GS Here the Setup tab DHCP server disable

http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/WRT54GS.JPG

no! wireless

Security tab

Firewall Protection: Enable

Block Anonymous Internet Requests ------- Enable

Filter Multicast ---------------- Enable

Filter Internet NAT Redirection--- disable

Filter IDENT(Port 113) -------------Enable

Access Restrictions tab disable

everything else default aside from few port fowards i need

fom this computer with DFI lan party board network settings are

Physical Address: 00-01-29-F2-12-31

IP Address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2

DNS Server: 192.168.1.2

WINS Server:

here a quick video going through all my network settings in router and PC network properties im sure it will explain better if the above is not what you were expecting http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/network%20setup%20%20.zip watch me a massive 2.30 MB :P

a just let me add using Windows Media Encoder to record my desktop and CPU gets hit hard when recording and in the video when i hit properties in Local Area Connection takes few seconds to open cause of WMEncoder taking up all cpu time so don't come back to me saying something wrong with your computer :D

don't think you can ask for better info on my network set up hehehe i could be wrong

CPU-Z board and CPU info http://s91195506.onlinehome.us/CPU-Z%20.zip a massive 705 KB

also like to add i just test this from ftp PC to ftp PC same issue as ftp from pc to xbox

hosting was done with BulletProof FTP Server on intel abit board IS7

Originally posted by Angry_Games

if you have a hardware router with NAT capability, turn off ALL firewalls as you only need the router.

AG,

I made my original post since you told him to turn off the firewall because he has a router with NAT.

A router, NAT and firewall are do not perform the same functions.

A router like a Linksys or Netgear you get from Office Depot is simply a device that routes packets in both directions usually using NAT(Network Address Translation).

While the Linksys has a "firewall' setting, if you read the instructions you will learn that it only works on the inbound side.

"By enabling the Block WAN Request feature, you can prevent your network from being "pinged," or detected, by other Internet users. The Block WAN Request feature also reinforces your network security by hiding your network ports. Both functions of the Block WAN Request feature make it more difficult for outside users to work their way into your network. This feature is enabled by default. Select Disable to disable this feature."

A true firewall monitors traffic in both directions.

A program like ZoneAlarm will notify you if a program on your computer is requesting to get out to the internet and allow you to decide. Even the firewall in WinXP SP2 can detect outgoing traffic and allow you to block the traffic.

To fully protect your system you need to pass "ShieldsUP" and "LeakTest" on Steve Gibson's www.grc.com site.

If you can pass "LeakTest" you have a firewall working in the outbound direction.

If you can pass "ShieldsUp" you have a firewall working in the inbound direction.

You should have both directions protected to have full security enabled.

I specifically referenced a hardware firewall at the Naval Station. I didn't mention a router in that sentence.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not credited with any misleading information that might cause a problem. I take my job and advice seriously. I stand by my original observation 100%.