HDD boot issue on LP nf3

im so confuzed rite now and sooo tired been at this problem all dayy looong :S

so heres the deal!

i have 2x sata on the 3/4 port, a WD raptor and a maxtor DM10 300gb

on IDE channel 2 i have a a maxtor DM9 200G and a DM9 160G

on IDE channel 1 i have a NEC ND3500A DVDRW drive. and a Lite on DVDRom.

i got mi a other drive a 120GB seagate and i installed it where the liteon dvdrom was installed. bios detects drive and etc.. BUT it will NOT boot! it says invalid babala boot drive press enter to baba! well u all know it :P

anyhow i conf the drive rite all jumpers are removed, as said on the cover of the disk no jumper = slave.

i disable the drive in bios it boots whit no fuzz, i enable it, it dosent boot.

i have the HDD Boot Prio set to boot from the raptor as before.. but still it dosent booot!! is this a other limitation of the nF3 ? anyone alse have this issue?

with the drive disabled in bios, XP still detects it but runs it in MWDMA2 mode and that is sooo slow compared to real UDMA...

anyone got any pointers?

Your info is confusing - I guess because your confused.

It sounds like your main system boot drive is the "raptor", you replaced an opticial drive with a 120GB Seagate hard drive and your problems started?

First, when you set up your system, start with the system drive and nothing else. Confirm proper operation and then add drives one at a time confirming everything works.

You should avoid mixing hard drives and opticial drives on the same channel if possible as opticial drives sometimes identify themselves incorrectly or cause a big slow down for the hard drive on the chain.

My system sometimes has a problem detecting the SATA drives I run. If they were boot drives then the system would assume the boot drive was not available and find something else to boot from.

Just letting you know the SATA ports can be flakey at times.

lol im not a noob :D i know what im doing :P

ok from the start

IDE CHANNEL1

MASTER: DVDRW

SLAVE: NUFFIN or DVDROM Drive

IDE CHANNEL2

MASTER: 200GB

SLAVE: 160GB

SATA3: 300GB

SATA4: WDraptor

the above conf works to boot XP from the raptor, eg system start with no fuzz :)

-----------------------------

IDE CHANNEL1

MASTER: DVDRW

SLAVE: Seagate120GB

IDE CHANNEL2

MASTER: 200GB

SLAVE: 160GB

SATA3: 300GB

SATA4: WDraptor

with this conf it DOES detect all drives etc. WD disk is still the 1st to boot in the HDD prio meny. eg it suposed to boot from the Raptor.

BUT pass bios just before its suposed to Boot XP im getting "Please insert a proper boot device" or something like that. eg winXP dosent boot with a disk inserted to IDE channel 1 slave position..

Is your boot priority the DVD before HDDs? If it is it, it would seem to be going to IDE channel 1 DVD then your slave 120GB. I've never tried to slave a HD to a DVD or CD-ROM. What happens if you take your DVD out and make the 120GB a master on IDE1. And then adding dvd back in as a slave???

all boot dev are HDD HDD HDD. i cant have HDD @ master cuz it doesent fit.. gah well anyhow i have the 120GB drive with a IDE2SATA adapter and plugged in to sata1 works well tho i only can run 10x240 cuz of the external PHY..

ill try to set the 120GB to master and DVDRW to slave later on.. :)

I know your problem about the master/slave setting with an opticial drive in the upper drive bays, the IDE slave cable slave port has to reach up to the drive and then loop back down to the HD which uses the end connecton. This can't happen in a taller case.

To troubleshoot your problem just take the opticial drive off the cable and connect the HD to the end IDE connection jumpered as a master. I think your system will boot normaly after this.

You may not be able to run the amount of drives you have with the DFI MB due to the inability to use SATA ports 1 and 2 in an overclocked condition.