Raid 0 on a 875P-T Results

JeffP

Did a new setup of the harddrivers. Purchased two of the 200 Gig Maxtors with 16MB cache. Threw them together in a Raid 0 setup and ran a few tests. The performance increase over my single 120GB WD is huge. More then I expected. Sandra score on the single 120 was 32MB throughput.

Here's a couple of graphs you should be able to see.

HD Tach Graph

Sandra Score

Good stuff. Game load times dropped. I notice the performance when it comes to large apps or games. The little file retreiving/moving type stuff seems nearly the same, maybe slightly better.

For $250 invested it was worth the results.

use ATTO to test RAID/HD performance. Sandra isn't widely accepted at all by most of us (not that its a big deal or anyone really cares but its better to base your scores off a program that a lot of us have used and feel its much better than Sandra as it is specifically for benching Hdd)

http://www.angrygames.com/files/eptscsi.exe

atto-1_nf3.jpg

i just installed it and have a bunch of programs open and haven't bothered to try and optimize anything. Set up ATTO like i have it set and take bechmark, and compare. We had a thread in the PCPER forums about this and was a thread that got a lot of use as lots of us compared benches etc.

ya man thats what they should look like. Wise Old One @ PCPER forums once (and might still) held the top score we'd seen with 129MB/s read + write scores on an Intel 875P board (ICH5R) and Raptor drives.

yours are looking good...ICH5R (and I suppose now ICH6R) was always great at being consistent on read AND writes...while other integrated controllers seemed to only excel at one or the other (case in point, look at my scores...excellent writes, pretty weak reads).

ive got the psu and 2.8E and X300SE PCI-E and either Ballistix or Mushkin or HyperX DDR2 to try out on teh 925X board and hopefully I will get around to it soon so I can see if mine are at least close to yours (taking into account mine are only 36GB older drives but should do well in comparison)

I assume the new 925x supports NCQ and SATA II which should reflect some better results then what I have if the HD's support it. Although I'm very pleased with the results from this board. The controller on the 875P-T seems to be well implimented based on the results I'm seeing.

There's a bunch of na-sayers on the OC Forums saying the improvments aren't significant but from my own real world use it's a huge improvment over a single drive. I have absolutly no complaints with the performance.

Look forward to your results with the new board and DDR2. With the additional bandwidth it should post some nice benchmarks.

pop into that announcement thread i just made and put your scores up so anyone with Intel stuff can get a good comparison...there's not a huge improvement from before to what you have...but as you say, its a definite improvement and you have the chipset to support all the features your drives have.

and the fact that you are happy is what is more important than anything.