875P-T Stability issues (maybe power)

JeffP

I see quite a bit of vcore flucuation when processing are starting or stopping or varying load like folding does. It seems to be causing me some stability issues. I don't think it's memory as I'm running 3200 Platinum and I'm only at 230FSB. Timings are lax at 2-3-3-8, I've also gone 2.5-3-3-8, 2.5-2-3-6. None of which make any difference, once I get the CPU churning and start using the memory I get lockups and reboots.

I'm thinking maybe the PSU just isn't up to the task but hate to gamble $200 on a guess. Any ideas or experinces you guys can share?

Attached a image of vcore logging and rail logging.

Originally posted by eva2000

maybe cpu throttling ? tried http://www.panopsys.com/throttlewatch.htm ?

oh yeah from what i read, the Thermaltake Purepower 560W ain't that great a psu

better off with 520W OCZ Powerstream

It's not throttling unfortantly. I can usually force a failure long before it gets that hot. I have that program already, and have been able to get it to show throttling. Mine actually starts throttling around 63c reading the temps from Speedfan. Much lower then the 70c they say or the reading it just that far off.

I'll go with a Powerstream 600 if I have to buy one I just want to be as sure as possible that is the problem.

I agree most of the Thermaltake PSU's are crap. I've seen the 420w model they make but this 560w is pretty heavy duty inside. That certainlty doesn't insure it's the best quality but is usually a pretty good indication.

Originally posted by Angry_Games

the TT 420w i have is a great psu. I'd go for the 520 or 600 OCZ of course.

the TT 560 is a great psu too.

but i still would go for the OCZ or Fortron 530.

Alright OCZ Powerstream 600 it is (just ordered it for 2 day air). Sure hopes this corrects the problems I'm experiencing. I just ran the OCZ memory test program and no problems found there even at 2-3-3-5 at 230FSB so it's either power, CPU, or motherboard.

I'll post back once I get it installed and give you the results.

overclocking is not a guaranteed anything, and it is also not covered under warranty.

we build the boards to be overclockers but cannot guarantee any overclockability nor will we warranty a board just because it wont overclock to whatever speeds one might hope to achieve.

Originally posted by Angry_Games

overclocking is not a guaranteed anything, and it is also not covered under warranty.

we build the boards to be overclockers but cannot guarantee any overclockability nor will we warranty a board just because it wont overclock to whatever speeds one might hope to achieve.

True and I understand that. However given the information from the other people running this same board and processor I know what this system should be capable of.

If everything checks out but the mobo then I know where the problem lies and have to make a decision as to what I can do.

I'm not going to specualate the board is a dud until I cross that bridge. To many other possible factors right now. PSU being a good place to start.

Might not even be hardware. Could be a BIOS or software problem thats yet to be discovered.

The Powerstream 600 is pretty impressive. What it did and did not fix. The 12v rail is now solid as a rock. Jumps at best from 12.18 to 12.33 when juggling the load the best I can.

The vflux issue continues. The 24pin did nothing to correct this nor did buying one of the best PSU's on the market. I'll surmise this is a board issue either BIOS or hardware related.

I do have it stable with some more vcore and a very stable 12v rail at 4.1Ghz off a 3.4E. There's some more left in it and with a little more time may push it a little harder.

Jeff

Jeff,

I think the vcore thing is software related. There is no way to verify this without a multimeter and knowing which mosfet to test on (correct me if I am wrong). I have a multimeter, but I don't know enough about this motherboard to go poking around with it. I tested my rails yesterday on my Enermax 485w and was impressed to say the least. Stable as a rock with Prime95 running.

Originally posted by phunk311

Jeff,

I think the vcore thing is software related. There is no way to verify this without a multimeter and knowing which mosfet to test on (correct me if I am wrong). I have a multimeter, but I don't know enough about this motherboard to go poking around with it. I tested my rails yesterday on my Enermax 485w and was impressed to say the least. Stable as a rock with Prime95 running.

I don't think CPUZ and MBM are both lying to me. Strangely enough when I see the vcore dropping is usually shortly before I see a hard reboot of the hardware. To me that sounds like the vcore is dropping to low.

Unless the problem is a Intel Chip problem???? All my rails are good it's once they hit the mobo they seem to be a problem at least VCORE. The rest look great.

Guest eva2000

vcore fluctuations i suspect are software bugs... tried measuing vcore straight from the board via multimeter ?