fairly new to building systems

i am planning on building a system with the following and was just wondering if should expect any problems......

Lanparty UT 250Gb NF3

Athlon 64 Skt 754 3000+

Raidmax Green Scorpio Case w/420w PSU (3 Stock case fans)

GeIL 512MB PC 3200 Kit 2x256MB (GE...) Value Series RAM *noticed this wasnt on your preferred list, but i did see the 1GB listed, WILL THIS BE OKAY??*

Nvidia Nforce 4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x

1 20GB 7200RPM HD (IDE)

1 40GB 7200RPM HD (IDE) *also, i hear that i shouldnt install the supplied nforce IDE drivers, how am i supposed to load stuff on the drives without IDE drivers????*

Lite-on 52x CDRW

Floppy Drive

when you guys talk about temp probs on this mobo, is the bios showing HIGHER than the ACTUAL temp ...Or.... is the bios causing the chip to run at a higher ACTUAL temp????

and also, should i be worried about the onboard lan, will it work fine????

i just dont wanna put together this system and it not work properly and im sitting dead not knowing what to do with no way to get on the comp and access the internet.......

On some systems, the bios will report a higher temperature than the actual. This can be fixed by flashing to 9/14 bios or later. Some people have the temp reading problem, some don't.

As far as your ram goes, you should be fine.

I have the same processor and case that you have, and have had no problems with cooling. I've been able to overclock to 2.55 Ghz with stock heatsink, fan, and aircoolling. I usually run around 34c at idle and 40c under a load.

I've been using the onbard lan with no problems, works great.

I didn't install the Nvidia IDE drivers, but I've had no problems with the windows drivers...they work fine for me.

David

Originally posted by heliumseven

i am planning on building a system with the following and was just wondering if should expect any problems......

Lanparty UT 250Gb NF3

Athlon 64 Skt 754 3000+

Raidmax Green Scorpio Case w/420w PSU (3 Stock case fans)

GeIL 512MB PC 3200 Kit 2x256MB (GE...) Value Series RAM *noticed this wasnt on your preferred list, but i did see the 1GB listed, WILL THIS BE OKAY??*

Nvidia Nforce 4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x

1 20GB 7200RPM HD (IDE)

1 40GB 7200RPM HD (IDE) *also, i hear that i shouldnt install the supplied nforce IDE drivers, how am i supposed to load stuff on the drives without IDE drivers????*

Lite-on 52x CDRW

Floppy Drive

when you guys talk about temp probs on this mobo, is the bios showing HIGHER than the ACTUAL temp ...Or.... is the bios causing the chip to run at a higher ACTUAL temp????

and also, should i be worried about the onboard lan, will it work fine????

i just dont wanna put together this system and it not work properly and im sitting dead not knowing what to do with no way to get on the comp and access the internet.......

Sounds like money is a bit tight. If you are a gamer a gig of ram will play much better

tha 512K with the new memory hungry games coming out.

Viper

yeah, money is a bit tight....heh college student. i only have about 400$ to spend........maybe a lil more for a 3200+ instead of 3000+ is it worth the 20$ difference?

and yeah i will probably upgrade the ram later... once i save up from working, etc.

and i have to say, the OC information, etc on this forum is amazing, ive never OCed before............ and still probably wont, but just the wealth of info on this one site has made me much more comfortable at attempting it.....ive learned so much....

I know what you mean by money being tight. Personally I'd stay away from the 3200. To me the 3000 is a better value. If I was wanting more power for a little more money, I'd skip the 3200 and go straight for the 3400.

As far as booting goes, it takes me 36 seconds to get into windows from the opeing bios screen. Once the "Loading Windows" screen pops up, I only have about 10 more seconds to bring up the desktop on mine.....7200 rpm IDE HD. Boy, I wish I had a raptor, lol.

As far as overclocking goes, basic overclocking is pretty simple. I am a noob, and I was able to go form 2.0 Ghz to 2.55 with no problems. I would think 2.4 would be easily attainable for just about anybody with the 3000. The bios is really good, and will allow you to squeeze every last bit of performance from your cpu. I think I could even go a little higher on my overclock, with some better memory. I don't have any heat issues on air cooling, but my memory is holding me back from going any higher right now.

Let me know what you end up getting, and your thoughts after you get it running.

David