1GB memory stick question

I just got back into town and one stick of my Kingmax PC-3500 RAM gave up the ghost on me. I started locking up in all of my games so I ran some memory test and sure enough one of the sticks won’t pass any memory test.

This forces my memory upgrade issue now that I’m running two sticks of A-Data PC-3200 just to keep the same RAM type in the slots for a 1GB total.

Has anyone spotted some high-performance 1GB sticks of RAM yet? Since it looks like the memory controller likes one slot rather than multiple slots populated, I thought that would be the way to go but I’m having trouble locating any high quality/performance 1GB sticks.

Is it worth the wait for the better 1GB sticks to become more readily available or should I just spring for the dual 512MB pack?

PQI has a PC3200 1GB stick with 3-4-4-8 timings that is in stock at my favorite online retailer for $205.00.

What would you do in this situation?

since my lil brother Ben needed 2x 1GB modules to run Unreal3 and 3d Studio Max etc...I already did the research for ya heh

one important thing is that dont even try using 3x 1GB modules. System (cpu mainly) just cant handle it. Might work for ya...but it will stress the system pretty hard and it will drop everything down to 166FSB also.

there's other 1GB sticks you can use...but if you are going to go down this road...I can only stress that you almost always get what you pay for.

Plus OCZ works these forums, has their own forums, and in general are great people to be associated with as they stand behind their products 110%.

OCZ4002048EBDCPE-K

$610.00 OCZ4002048EBDCPE-K

FrozenCPU @ $725.00

ps: he said when they tested it it would overclock to around 250FSB on the NF3, about 280-ish on the Intel platform (which has always been better for higher capacity modules)

Wow. That's one heck of a premium. Looks like I'll have to save up some more money to get OCZ memory.

I see in my post I used plural when talking about the 1GB memory modules. My brain still hurts from jet lag traveling east and working at my voting place all day.

I plan to use 1GB so one stick would be enough. Was this memory tested as a single stick versus two 512MB modules. I'm trying to cut down the number of slots populated increase performance.

...two 1gig sticks run as a pair in the board. One one gig stick if they sell them un-paired should work just as well or a tick better. They tested a pair because that is what AG's brother was needing.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused: as usual.

2x512 should still perform better than 1x1GB...not because of DIMM population but because of IC population on a DIMM module.

then again...being a single channel board...1x1GB might actually perform better...but Ben had to have 2x1GB (if Unreal3 didnt need 64-bit cpu then I would have had him get an Intel and 4x1GB)

I'm gonna go the less expensive route and order a pair of 512MB PC-3200 PQI Turbo RAM. They are TCCD with 2-2-2-5 rated timings.

The only 1GB stick available at my favorite retailler is PQI Turbo RAM but the timings at PC-3200 are 3-4-4-8.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let ya'll know the results.