Moving Dell Parts To New Case

I bought a new case, standard ATX blah blah. My DELL is only 1 year old and everyone who I talked to and everything I read said that they are not proprietary. However, my motherboard has this weird other chip that controls the lights, on button etc. Does anyone know how I can rig this in my new case without having to break down and buy a new MB? Please email me if you have any experience with this sort of thing.

Dell's are definitely proprietary. I tranfered my dell over to a new case and didn't have any issues. There should still be connectors on the mobo to hook up the lights and power switches. Just remember to use the psu that came with the dell. Any other psu will either damage the mobo or the psu.

And welcome to OCC... :D

Edited by cptkook

I did one 3 years ago.. the Power LEDS HD LED, PowerSW were all on one strip.. to plug in to.. so.. basicly I just took my new case PowerSW connector, tested it out on all the prongs till I found the right one.. and just used that... U dont really need the leds for anything so screw it..

you gota have super bright LEDs....geez...

why can't u just unhook the controler and zip tie it in your new case...and just use the wires that run to all the things in you new case...ex just rip the leds out of the del and cut them off..then strip the wire back, just shove the wire into the conecter to the coraspending LED (switch or whatever need be) slap some elec tape on it and see if it works? i don't c why it woudlnlt

How long ago did you do this? Because I see now way to move that other little weird chip to the new case.

Which dell model do you have?

from what ive seen the dells arent proprietary, but the compaqs have triangular hard drives and circular floppys....

Dell motherboards, powersupplies and some cases are proprietary.

I did one 3 years ago.. the Power LEDS HD LED, PowerSW were all on one strip.. to plug in to.. so.. basicly I just took my new case PowerSW connector, tested it out on all the prongs till I found the right one.. and just used that... U dont really need the leds for anything so screw it..

thats a good way to fry your obo.....ive dont that and fried it before. LOL, you got lucky. :O

I am not sure of my model right now, as I am at work, but I bought it not this past Christmas but the Christmas before. The smaller chip is about as big as a 3x5 index card, maybe a tad smaller. I don't see it being a problem moving it out and trying to attach it to the new case but I am not sure how the plugs will fit onto that one. And yes, I do want LEDs. Heh heh.

Ok, moving Dell parts to a new case can be done, over the past couple of days I have just completed that task myself, and yes it did take a couple of days, or at least a couple of evenings.

I did it along with the aid of a friend who knows more about computers than me, so I couldn't really give any technicals details but I just though I'd say that it can definately be done.

The Dell was an Dimension 4550 by the way.