DoH! I think I F'd It up!

so I accidently busted a tiny resistor off one of my memory dimms. fine ok what ever. So i thought hmm maybe i should see if it will boot, so I stuck it in and Sure enough it booted right up I ran some tests it worked fine... Kindof odd tho. So I shut down the system to but the other dimm in soI had dual chan. Well then it didnt boot. now no matter what I try it wont boot, I've tried other memory and it wont boot either.

THe memory that I busted the resistor off works perfect in this asus board. but I think it somehow messed my my HO :(

I guess I gotta RMA the board, DFI didnt have an RMA thingy on thier website, can I call and get an RMA or Do i have to send it back to the retailer where I bought it from? I really dont want todo that because thier turn around time is too slow for me and I have tho send Everything back and I dont have everything anymore.

I forgot to mention, I left the battery out for 2 days, and Tried 3 differant bioses

I've pretty much gone through all the trouble shooting processes I could think of.

I also even repaired the memory dimm using a good ol #2 pencil i was able to get the right resistance :)

...for you to email he or I and we would give you an address and instructions as to where to mail the bios chip "only" and Techs in CA will reflash the bios chip and return the bios chip to you for re-nstall in the motherboard. It seems you corrupted the bios chip by not loading optimized defaults in between installing and un-installing the memory you manhandled the resistor off of.

I presume you live in the UsA and then what I wrote applies.

Sincerely, RGone...

PS: while bios chip is gone for reflash> remove the battery and leave it out and no A/c power to the computer. When bios chip returns and you re-install in mobo and replace battery> boot first to bios and right side menu choose "load optimized" defaults> choose YES> save and exit and reboot and only then enter the bios to make a "few" adjustements at the time> beginning with upping voltages before fooling with memory timings or raising the cpu speed. NOTE: always "load optimized defaults" before changing out major components on motherboard. You will almost 95% save yourself this grief. RGone...Again...

If you're in the U.S. or Canada, please fax us a copy of the sales receipt for the board and we'll send you a RMA form to fill out. Just make sure that you have your return fax number or an e-mail address on the receipt so that we know where to send the form to. Our fax number is: 510-274-8013. We will be happy to take a look at your board first, and let you know whether we could fix it or if there will be a repair fee applied due to the physical damage. Thank you.

:confused: why you think DFI "owes" you any RMA when this is what happened?

THe memory that I busted the resistor off works perfect in this asus board. but I think it somehow messed my my HO

You plug memory with parts you broken off the memory; into a motherboard and then the motherboard seems broken and you want 'warranty"?

RGone...

well I never suggested DFI OWES me anything. Pretty much just asking If I can RMA directly to DFI. I wouldnt expect a free brand new motherboard if I f'd it up. But I dont have the expertice to repair that kind of thing.

Anyways I did get it to work finaly. I ripped it all apart, then put it back together and vwala it worked.

Anyways thanks for your quick replys.

:) that complete breakdown and restart makes for a good re-start many times. I have such big hands that when I am in the case> I think I move about and dislodge connections too easily and that is when I have problems and I have gotten to where just unplug and start over.

By the way many times if you break off stuff like the little smc's on the board and well just more or less trivial stuff it may pay to get an estimate of repairs from AG or myself as we talk to the guys at depot level to see if it is worth the repair process. Now that is not a return merchandise authorization or not truly so, but so many still call it an RMA. Again we get caught by phrases that are in wide mis-use. If you had asked me to get estimate of repair to board that may have had bad stick of memory that zonked a socket> we would have been on the same channel so to speak.

But in fact I am quite pleased you are up and running. Maybe almost as much as yourself and you learned a great deal to use in the future, I am sure. Good luck and happy putering.

Sincerely, RGone...