Getting to 240-250 fbs help

Hi, my first post dealt with me trying to up my FSB up to 205 and having it crash and not let me run 200/400. Well all thats resolved now :) and I am currently running my at 217/434 very stably with both cpu temp and system temp around 37C. I bougth some Kingmax PC3500 ram but I RMAed it and right now I am expecting delivery of some Kingston KHX3000 512x2 modules from zipzoomfly. Now my question is, how much more cooling am I going to need to be able to sustain around 240-250? I installed some new fans and I have also placed 2 80mm Fans that blow straight on the memory/chipset. Before the northbridge was very hot to touch now its warm, however I'd imagine that it would be considerably hotter under those conditions. Especially since I plan on increasing the voltage a bit. Will I have overheat issues? Would it be wise to buy a chipset cooler or are there any guides for good homemade coolers? I also figured that the Northbridge probably needs a lot more cooling than south bridge but both get pretty hot. Also I was fortunate enough to buy an x800pro that came with all the XT hardware so I decided to flash the bios and it was a success!. Currently it idles around 40C and goes up to about 52C. I was hoping to maybe overclock it, but I didn't really want the temps any higher. Does anyone have experience with any of the Zalman 80 series coolers? It seems that my old corsair xms 3200C2 wasn't all it was cracked up to be =/ but neither were these kingmax chps, although they run 217 at spec very nicely.

...I would just re-apply thermal compound to the NB and if you like add a 40mm fan as some do or don't and I don't have any extra cooling on my NB or SB than fans similar to you and go to 263X10 after removing the heat spreaders on the memory.

Your first need will be to burn in the KHX3000 with memtest86 looping test #5 for about 72 hours at 3.2V or so and starting at what ever FSB it will run "and" upping the FSB ever 4-5 hours as you progress to the 72 hours and finally reach 3.3V somewhere in that mix. Just saying this as "uwackme" seems to know his stuff about the memory from the 'fly'.

Sincerely, RGone...

I actually like the stock NB cooler, so long as you have sidedoor fans blowing over it. Do like RG said, replace the goop with some AS Ceramique. Sometimes the factory isnt that anal about putting the goop on.

Also if the board proves to be a winner, and works well, go ahead and put sinks on the MOSFETs...ALL of them ;-) Epoxy them right on with AS Alumina epoxy....diluted with 1:1 of AS Ceramique (that way they are removable if need be).

You may find removing the heatspedder's is helpful on the KHX3000's....place them in the freezer for 20min, the steel clips wil come off easy that way. I just put the spreaders in the original boxes for a rainy day. They act as heat blankets for the most part unfortunately. Besides, you get to confirm BH5-ness, and if they are BH5 (99% sure) you wont EVER RMA them anyway ;-)

But confirm basic operation error free BEFORE making mod's....always. Kingston does still have SOME BH5 stock in the RMA channel I believe.

Mine would only do 185Mhz to start out, but after 72 hours @ 3.3Vdimm running Memtest, test #5 (and upping FSB 5Mhz every few hours) I got to 245Mhz error free on all 6 sticks alone, and 240Mhz FSB in DC in pairs, error free.

Sweet thanks for the responses! I definately can't wait to get them in. One more thing, when doing the burnin process, does it have to be continous, or can it be broken up into segments? I don't think I can go without using my computer for 72 hours unfortunately. Also, should I start the voltage at 3.3 right out of the box, or build up it up throughout the burnin. Currently I'm running 217fsb, but what should my starting fsb be for these chips? Thanks for all your help.

...works better to start burn-in and run to the end. Short bursts are nearly useless as if you watch the progress as I have while burning on one and putering on another> the first few mhz upwards may take 5 hours or more> then somewhere in the middle of going upward it might show a change in the number of errors lessening in about 3 hours and time to go upward and then near the end of all that burn-in will accomplish it may be closer to 8 hours before you see the errors lessen. They go thru a ton of errors>then fewer then back to errors and then taper off and up the FSB. I have watched this pattern of 10 sticks of memory. Course if you in a hurry then the extra FSB might not be worth much to you.

I would start with 3.2V down around and up to 230FSB then switch to 3.3V after 230~ on the BH/CH-5 and burn-in like that.

Tough route to go but I picked up almost 18 useable FSB on some CH-5 and took some errorring badly BH-5 from 240 to 253FSB. But I had to stay with it. Wanted it and paid the price to get there.

Sincerely, RGone...

Is it important to up the fsb through-out the burn in process? I was thinking of maybe going home for labor day and leaving the computer running memtest. I have decided that if I really do need to do the straight 72 hours then its well worth it. If I can just leave it running, I will most likely leave my computer on at my place and go home, if not then I will just take my computer with me.

I recently did the vdd mod and lapped the NB, and IMO it gained me some stabilty.

Andd I did RGone's burn in procedure (not exactly this way but similar)... didn't you wonder why I am suddenly able to get 271??? :D;)

Burn in is very time consuming, but it definatley helps a lot. It will make your ram much more stable at higher speeds and probably you could lower the ram voltage later maintaining the same speed as before if you want to.

I wish ya good luck. (And don't worry about many errors in the beginning of burn in procedure... they will reduce over time - but set up the bios so that you only have up to 10000-20000 errors max a run)

Ok, im stupid but theres something I dont understand. I dont know the answer but i know the question is totally stupid. You say it must be 72 straigt hours but you say up the fsb by 5mhz at a time. How can you do 72 hours straight and overclock without restarting.edit: and going in the bios

TheNewGuy

I guess, You should test your highest clock in 72 hours straight. Before You test that, You can just test with SuperPI 4M, I guess that enough. If your settings passed, set to the higher clock and test again untuk it can pass. Lower to your higher settings that passed the test and now You can test in 72 hours.

CMIIW.