Please help wit me shitty ram

twism

Hi... just registered here.... :) place lewks kewl.

so... in the effort of overclocking my cpu and so, I went to rectron and bought some ddr500 RAM.... And now I am begining to think it was a really bad idea.

with my old ddr 400(also transcend) I could get 205fsb with timings 6-3-2-2-2(the order as they are in the bios)... with only pushing the vdim a bit. With the ddr500 I can only get the default... 8-3-3-3-3, and not more(I think i can get the cas to 2.5 but thats not major) even if I put the vdim to full 3.3v I cant run the timings any better and that is at 200 fsb. What the hell is going on here.

I thought that one of the main reasons to get faster ram was to push the fsb a bit and run faster timings??

The only other thing that changed was I reflashed my bios.. you think maybe there is something wrong with the new bios's vdimm setting?? I used the 6/19 bios.

BTW.. I have lost about 700 points in 3dmark01.

please help guys....

twis

"I thought that one of the main reasons to get faster ram was to push the fsb a bit and run faster timings??"

Many folks have a misconception about what "fast RAM"

is on an AMD system.

Sorry, it is not DDR500. Look at the default timimgs that

are programmed to the SPD for this memory. 8-3-3-3-3.

It's all a compatability issue. nVidia chipset, ROMSIP

tables in BIOS, etc, etc.

Because the label reads DDR500 folks think automatically

this memory is going to run 250FSB on my Mboard.

And there is the downfall of trying to crank this stuff on a

DFI board.

This is the reason your DDR400 with it's 6-3-2-2-2 gives

better results.

This type of RAM is designed primarily to be compatable

with Intel units. It works on the A64 platforms. But these

use a completely different memory bus system.

Each motherboard seems to have its own idiosyncracy and will tend to favor most a particular memory over the rest despite that the others may have better technical specifications!

Case in point are the DFI sisters ...... they like those with the winbond BH-5 chips esp. the 256mb, ddr400 or pc3200 variety in order to get up to fsb 250 at dual channel mode. Change that to the double-sided 512 mb variety, and some guys here will swear major problems in attaining 250.

I have the Kingston HyperX3000 which is rated at fsb183 for default. With 3.3 volts of Vdimm, I have brought it up to handle fsb 255 or an unbelievable 40 % overclock.:) This is at SC with Vcore at 1.9 volts and chipset at 1.7-1.8 volts. My temps though jump to 60 degrees for which I really have to get better cooling.:(

Scan the threads.... there are plenty of discussions about the "best" memory to use. But again the consensus is those with the winbond BH-5 chips !!...... and Kingston is one of them with.

Good Luck......

Thanks for the help so far :)

First of all... what are dfi sisters :confused: ??

secondly... you think that getting kingston ddr400 will be better than getting the 433?? or are you just pointing out that a lot of people like the 400 and the 433 could be the same as the 400(performance wise)??

thanks again!!